Insurance Situation

What you guys are referring to is called Excluded Driver. And rules vary by state. But it is not allowed in NY. Tried it. They don’t let. Hence, they added me against my will.

Lol. Wish I can say that. But his policy went up as a result of me and I will now have to pay the difference

1 Like

Wow if this is true… thats sooo shitty. Like what happens when you are roommates with someone who has a car and you don’t? Or husband and wife are separated? I can find a million scenarios where it doesn’t work…

Drive his car then :grin:

Costs definitely vary widely from one circumstance to another, and certainly state to state.

And… even for identical circumstances…

I got multiple quotes on coverage just this afternoon for one vehicle in California, and they ranged from < $800 a year (esurance) to > $2,600 (Root), for the same coverage, same vehicle.

Yes exactly. And their claim is if you’re living at same residence and you decide one day to take the car for a joy ride and you total the car, they will have to pay for it in full. So they feel they can just add you against your will. I just never experienced this before

Are you sure thats NY state law? Or insurance companies own policy? Majorly effed up

Are you sure you are not paying this policy over the email to someone in Africa?
JK, seriously…i’m fricked out by this. How is this not insurance fraud?

This is your answer so why are you asking here? Are you going to take peoples word on the internet or the insurance company’s?

FWIW I live in NJ and it is the same thing for this exact same rational, they figure that if you live in the same household, sooner or later you will borrow the car, I guess they have seen this before no matter how many times you tell them you never drive his car.

And BTW, you must have a pretty bad driving record or some accidents or something if his insurance went up.

Well 2 people on a policy is usually more expensive than 1 last time I checked

Well you are the one who said substantially, so that would lead one to believe they are basing it on more than just increased use, but I have no reason to doubt that you have an excellent driving history.

Good luck with your recourse.

This is fricking nuts, no matter how they rationalize it. If the uninsured driver gets into an accident then don’t cover it or have a higher deductible…but don’t make everyone in the house pay for a car they will not drive.

2 Likes

Not always. But if you have tickets, accidents and/or are a teen or single male under 25, welcome to NY.

It is slightly off topic but I keep an old 2003 PT Cruiser and keep my younger kids assigned on the policy to this car without any comprehensive policy. This makes the GEICO insurance cost MUCH lower. Removing/replacing the car raises the premium significantly. Now I need to keep the car parked on the driveway…

This. When I went car-less in 2014-2016, I changed to liability only and ‘non-owner operator’ which gave me liability coverage for rental cars as well as when I might occasionally borrow a friend or family members car. Note that a common misconception is that credit cards cover rental cars - this is typically only for collision & comprehensive and usually secondary, so unless you have a premium insurance package through your credit card (typically at an additional cost), you still need liability coverage.

1 Like

Can you not just hide it away in a garage somewhere so the rest of the world doesn’t have to look at it?

2 Likes