Inflation surges 7.5% on an annual basis, even more than expected and highest since 1982

Let them eat TV’s and Toys.

5 Likes

I concur but this list is mostly for beach type of vacation. If you need to see historical places, you’ll need to add Eastern part of the country to your itinerary.

That is true. My visits to the east side have been a bit limited. During my stay in Turkey, the whole Syria and Kurdish tensions were a bit high. I have been wanting to go to Konya. But not sure when I would be able to go to that part of the world again.

@HersheySweet

Turkey is more summer season visit (June thru Sept) rather than spring break.

Go to Bodrum. :+1:

Well you know why TVs stay cheap. Programming at its best…

2 Likes

1 Like

Whatever.
Call me when we reach Richard Nixon 1973/74 inflation levels.

My Kroger Gummy Bears bag just went up from 1$ to 1.25$ after 15 years or so…the world is ending but my blood sugar will thank me.

4 Likes

https://www.wsj.com/articles/inflation-was-hottest-in-atlanta-mildest-in-san-francisco-in-2021-11644748200

of course it was…(West and NE) friends don’t let friends move to Atlanta…

Whotsthetrick to bypass the paywall again? I keep forgetting.

I subscribe. I’ve noticed a “free link” option, which I haven’t tried until now:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/inflation-was-hottest-in-atlanta-mildest-in-san-francisco-in-2021-11644748200?st=gykmvvktjrc7ppu&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Let me know.

1 Like

That worked!

“The Atlanta and Houston metro areas gained nearly five new residents per thousand residents since March 2020, and Dallas gained almost a dozen per thousand, according to an analysis of domestic migration since the start of the pandemic by Moody’s Analytics, Equifax and CreditForecast. San Francisco, by contrast, lost nearly 27 residents per thousand inhabitants. New York lost close to 20 per thousand, and the Washington, D.C., area lost more than a dozen per thousand.”

And

“The pandemic has accelerated the trend. California is losing more than twice as many people to domestic migration as it was before the pandemic, a recent report from University of California researchers showed.”

Are completely credible just based on my own experience and observation. Many businesses gone, many friends moved away in relief, WFH trending away from urban clustering, and families seeking a more hospitable environment for their kids, both in education and community.

2 Likes

I live in Nashville and expats from California/NY/Chicago now make up more than 2/3 of my neighborhood. We also went from zero teslas to 1:7 in about six months. More plates from any of those states than Tennessee

4 Likes

Now you just have to hope they don’t try to turn it into the place they left.

9 Likes

They are going to and it has little to do with politics.

For the vast majority, California isn’t expensive because of the taxes but rather the cost of housing. Doing the math, a family of four making 150k a month might save between $2k and $6k annually moving to a lower tax state. But what does a 4 bedroom house cost near the major California cities? The same house in Nashville is probably saves you $3k a month. So what’s the problem?

As the WSJ article above shows, anywhere a lot of people move to is going to get much more expensive. You looked for houses in Atlanta recently. A 3k square foot house in a good suburb of Atlanta isn’t that much cheaper than a comparable house in NoVa.

Florida has seen this occur too.

3 Likes

And there’s a reason CA has become as expensive as it is.

I was holding my breath, but from what I’ve seen, it takes about 3-6 months for expats to acclimate and assimilate. When asked why they move, the cost/value is not in their top 3 reasons. And yes it’s making everything expensive. The neighborhood has increased 25 percent a year for three years now.

The markers of assimilation is when they start waving at strangers (vs tailgating), obey roadsigns (they aren’t suggestions), and stop using their floodlights on their house at night.

The culture (although a minority now) is still very strong. After the tornadoes people were worried how long it would take “for the city to get the roads back to normal from the downed trees.” The pickup trucks showed up at dawn from the four surrounding states, and there was cheap firewood for sale on the side of the road by lunch. The roads that were missing from flooding were replaced within the week. People went from asking, to helping.

Seems good people live in all 50 states.

3 Likes

I would say cost was a primary initial motivator, but what you describe is truly a Quality of Life improvement. The assimilation takes time because of compounded helplessness in their old place, with little hope of affecting (personal agency) their destinies. It takes time to retrain your relationship to your community.