Infiniti QX60 End of lease issue with a major twist

My friend who won the case against Nissan was not taking it to a dealer for service. He was using his own mechanic.

1 Like

How much time did it take? Just curious for future reference.

It took about 2-3 months from the time he filed the complaint to arbitration.

2 Likes

Wow I had to go back and make sure I didn’t write this. Exact same situation. How to handle Infiniti QX60 major mechanical issue

I’m DMing you. I have some info I’ve learned. Also I have retained a lawyer.

1 Like

wow crazy so many people are having this issue. I dont have much to add since my QX60 had no issues during my lease period, but I want to follow this thread to see what happens.

I think the best course of action is to get it inspected and attempt to return the lease as is and see what the fee for the damaged engine is, chances are it is a lot less than the 18k retail the dealership is quoting.

Also, did you purchase or have wear and tear coverage? It may seem like a waste of money but it’ll cover up to 5k in damage on a single claim. I forgot i had it on my qx60 and replaced the tires without realizing my wear and tear coverage would have covered it.

A seized engine would not fall under the coverage of any excess w/t plan I know of.

Another spin on this, will an earlier QX60 engine work in that year’s model with minimal modification. I see 2015-16 engines on ebay for under $2000 (whereas the ones for 2018-20 are $6k). A $2-3000 for install, and the vehicle is running again for $5-6K instead of $10K or $18k.

I would do option B. Sell to infinity dealer for $10k loss. Get new leased infinity 18 months. Then move on with your life.

Why would they lease another one after that debacle?

2 Likes

Because earlier he mentioned the dealer would only buy back the damaged vehicle if he gets a new car with them. Getting a short lease is the best way to get a car with them but not be tied in long-term

I’m fairly sure in that case “buying” car from then by a dealer and leasing another means loading negative equity into the new lease in that dealership language.

They’ll take their pound of flesh, it doesn’t matter whether you structure it as a purchase or a ST lease or a LT lease.

Edit: Sorry… Just saw that the engine was entirely seized. Definitely get your documentation in order and fight this if you performed the required maintenance. It’s insane to pay that kind of money on a lease return if you did what you were supposed to do.

What the actual f.

THREE people in this thread having the same issue?

That’s enough for a class action lawsuit.

You guys need to get your lemon law attorneys on this.

This thread taught me to never buy an infiniti. Wow.

5 Likes

Go checkout ‘Engine Sludge’ in the GR86s

That’s wild. The fact that Infiniti is trying to put this on customers is … oh wait… typical. But infuriating nonetheless.

Reminds me of the Audi/VW 1.8T debacle.

20 years later, has anything changed in the industry?

1 Like

no. the 2015-2016s are port injection and the later ones are direct injection.

Also for the OP, I thought about doing this also. But my SA told me once they saw there was an engine problem it’s going on the carfax. So if you’re able to avoid the carfax issue, I may have done this. But after she said, it’s going to show up. I figured there is no way it would work.

any updates, OP?