I'm going to get banned from TTAC

I actually tried using Tom McPharland’s services long before I joined LH. He refused helping me because I was looking for a vehicle under 20k and he doesn’t deal in anything under 20k.

4 Likes

Actually had plenty of good experiences with him before I found LH. Weird 20k rule I must say.

1 Like

The “What Car Should I buy?” threads always devolve into who can come up with the most hipster and/or obscure answer.

But the answer is always a Mitsubishi Delica.

2 Likes

It flabbergasts me that so many people can’t seem to understand this reality. This, and the argument, “Yeah but I don’t own it.” re: leasing vs financing. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Ha, I thought it’s usually a brown, manual wagon of some variety.

1 Like

That’s how I feel about my wife’s 2017 Pilot. Honda’s program 2 years ago was terrible and to lease our Pilot would have cost almost $600 per month (36/15K 6.35% Tax Rolled In). Not even at 2 years and already hit 34,000 miles.

1 Like

No, that’s the ‘lamestream’ automotive press… at Jalopnik you have to contemplate a Toyota HiAce, Nissan Patrol, Honda Civic 4WD Wagon, a Lancia Delta and maybe a Pajero before ultimately concluding that the Delica is the right answer.

ETA: at least 2 of the above have to be RHD manual diesels, and 500 extra points if it’s a non-turbo diesel.

5 Likes

Which part is reality? Because sometimes owning a depreciating asset is cheaper than leasing it.

3 Likes

Sometimes.

But it’s never because “LEASING IS STUPID LOL I OWN MY TRUCK SO I CAN HANG TESTICLES OFF THE TRAILER HITCH”. It’s because math, which is too difficult for most to comprehend.

6 Likes

Absolutely. Just responding to the folks here who have the polar opposite of the very dogmatic view we are making fun of… they seem to be saying leasing is always the answer.

3 Likes

Exactly. I like to strike the middle ground, there are benefits both ways depending on the vehicle in question. As I constantly ramble on about, I own 3/4 of our vehicles…I see both sides of it. But I surely would not own 3/4 if I didn’t A) Drive 30k+ miles a year, B) Have 3 kids C) Have a really odd car fetish and D) have a garage full of tools. Everyone is different every car is different and it should be a case by case informed decision.

I will say that for 95% of people leasing is a much smarter option than purchasing, but only if they understand leasing and are getting a strong deal on the lease AND it’s a hackable vehicle. Most people just take the dealer quote and give up and have zero idea what’s going on. Like the guy in the comments who said he got a quote $760/mo or whatever on a TourX or the guy who magically traded in a current lease for another lease ‘with zero down omg!’. These folks have absolutely no clue. The noobs who come on here prepared, informed and present us with a lease proposal for our opinions always earn my respect because that’s not something that the vast majority of people are capable of doing.

3 Likes

You must be bored out of your mind to get so invested in that LOL

5 Likes

All depends on the program and maintenance associated with the vehicle.

If I was into basic transportation with little to no electronic doodads or gizmos and actually kept my cars for longer than I keep my jeans then I’d probably still be in the buy camp despite driving over 20K/yr.

1 Like

I leased my Tacoma from @Bostoncarconcierge and my friends (Who each drive a Silverado & a Sierra Denali) hung testicles off my trailer hitch as a goof.

5 Likes

Because they found out how much you pay for it vs their payment? :joy:

3 Likes

Generally speaking any time an “expert” gives you advice, do the opposite.

1 Like

Unless it’s a trusted hackr. Then do what he says.

2 Likes

Unless you r getting Accord Hybrid in which case only sales person was the all-knowing supreme being:)

3 Likes

I can’t stand the crowds on sites like that and Jalopnik who swear by only purchasing 8 year old manual wagons in cash as if somehow the additional depreciation, repairs, maintenance and other ancillary costs (apparently TIME doesn’t count when calculating doing your own service and maintenance?) somehow don’t count when comparing to the costs of leasing a new vehicle under warranty, in many cases with maintenance included.

4 Likes

A lot of people would argue the point of buying an 8 year old manual wagon is to spend a lot of your weekends working on it.

It’s a very marginal market and not worth the operations costs for manufacturers to pander to them anymore.

1 Like