I'm back....time to hunt for a unicorn

It was somewhere. That is a sweet looking car.

Might be easier to find an actual unicorn.

If you donā€™t care about a dirty carfax though, I would start there with damage disclosure units.

4 Likes

Hey @Ursus ! Wanna add this one to the ā€œIf Onlyā€¦ Would haveā€¦ Could haveā€ thread :joy:

I wouldnā€™t even know where to start on a DDU.

1 Like

Sure, but you are doing this to a mod, so think twice lol

1 Like

If something is listed at a price that seems unusual for this market. (Not invoice or above after subtracting loyalty) Itā€™s probably a damage disclosure and would warrant a deeper dive before you make an offer.

You can still get a good deal on a demo 2021 740i, if you can find one.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had 2 in a row so Iā€™d hate to end up in that (1st world problems)ā€¦but I know someone looking for one.

I hear ya. Iā€™m in the best position Iā€™ve ever been to lease something just for fun. Iā€™m working from home now, so I was able to get rid of my commuter car and eliminate that payment/tax/gas. I donā€™t drive much now so I just drive my truck, which I used to drive primarily just when I needed to haul something or it was snowing. I just made my last payment on that, so thereā€™s more money I wouldnā€™t miss. I refiā€™d my house and that reduced my mortgage payment, and I got a raise. Everything is perfect for a low mileage lease on something completely impractical, except for the market. Ugh!

2 Likes

Would rather have a 1990-2001 SL. :slight_smile:

Really?? I like them but Iā€™ll like them more in 20 years I think. I still love the 2003 model.

I think they (the 1990-2001, which I consider one of the last old-skool MBs) is going to become a classic, so I feel like now (well, maybe not literally RIGHT now) is the time to get one b/c I think prices are going to go up. But I donā€™t follow classic-car prices, so I have no data on which to base these thoughts. :wink:

The 2002 gen was too curvy for me. Didnā€™t like any of the MBs from that period. Thought the S-Class back then looked a lot more cheap (and genuinely disliked the C-Class we had; really liked the previous one). Was hoping that the current SL would be a return to form, but I think itā€™s even worse! The rest of the MBs currently, though, seem pretty good to me.

2 Likes

Sure if you like paying thousands of dollars to constantly replace all the soft top hydraulics :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My parents had various R129, I loooove them

And what I am gonna have to replace on a 40 yr old SLC???

My parents had a 380SL. I was too young to drive, so I canā€™t comment on that part. But thought it was an awesome car. But I think 300HP and something approaching modern electronics and safety tech (although the 380 did have ABS!) is, like, way awesome-er. :smiley: And, the one time we tried using the soft top, I donā€™t remember that being particularly easy.

I have sometimes wondered about getting a 300SL (R129) b/c I assume theyā€™d be more affordable b/c theyā€™re less desirable. But then I remember the C&D article where they said that the 300SL made the 500SL look like a must-buy. Oy.

Okay, back to the topic of finding a unicorn. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are already so few left, but best of luck to them in the search for the BMW 7.

Day 1. Tried a single dealer for an NSX and Two A8e. Itā€™s definitely really hard to hunt for unicorns now. Itā€™s like finding water on Mars.

Will keep goingā€¦will try to find a deal that can be replicated as well as a unicorn.

2 Likes

If you get an Audi, you wouldnā€™t be able to transfer or sell :joy:

1 Like

Thatā€™s the point of calling it a unicorn. The term is way overused around here.

2 Likes

Love SLā€™s and whatnot. But dont want to look my age , OLD .

Now i am the guy i used to say ā€œlook , must be original owner, lololoā€ when seeing nice kept classics.

Difference is I used to call and get X % off, this time around they even marked up a demo $40k over MSRP. Lol