If you had to get a car today…

Finally getting somewhere with a WRX. Dealer was just super confused about working a deal in NJ.

This is nowhere near a “hack,” mind you, but I think it works out just fine. MF on the '21s is down to .00085 for a base model, so that’s nice. RV is 57%, which is absurdly low given how these hold their value. So, while I’ll be paying $16.5k over 3 yrs for a $29k MSRP, the $16.5k RV should leave hefty equity on the bone. I guesstimate my actual effective payment will be $270-$280 in the end.

Took a lot of patience to find a dealer willing to sell at MSRP. They charging a $799 doc fee and I have to pay $400 to ship, so it is kind of like being about $700-$800 over MSRP, but that’s a far cry from the $3k-$5k all closer dealers want.

5 Likes

I have no experience with Subies but could you not get the dealer that will do MSRP to honor VIP pricing as well?

I can put you in touch with a Philly area dealer. All ordered cars are sold at MSRP with no mandatory or pre-installed add-ons

1 Like

You should order ASAP if you need a car before or by the summer.

The 2023 will come out in September. You’d need to speak to a dealer about when to order.

1 Like

using this?

nope. Good luck getting anyone to take it. Plus, I believe WRX is excluded. But that seems to change all the time.

In the end, I decided to finance. 2.49% for 72 mos.

5 Likes

If the dealer in Philly has similar policies for Sorentos, I’d greatly appreciate the contact information as well. Thanks!

1 Like

Sending you PM

1 Like

Got mine from Mike Kelly Kia north of Pittsburgh. They softly pushed an interior protection package that was easily removed but that was it. Great people to work with.

Buy any new Honda Accord with 5% discount off MSRP, drive it for 5,000 miles and sell to Carwanna for $1,200 over MSRP.
Repeat every 3 months.

Bear

How do get 5% MSRP discount on Honda Accord?

You have to ask, if they say no move on to the next dealer.
In WI, out of 4 dealers 2 said yes.
Remember, if it is not on the lot they can do a dealer trade.

Bear

I’m debating doing this too. I just have qualms about showing up to the office as a 33 year old in a WRX. But I think these would be relatively safe from a pop.

I’m also toying with the idea of a used Porsche 911 (997 or 991). These used to see depreciation of 1-3k a year. Thinking that could limit the downside when this bubble pops. Cashflow isn’t a serious concern at the 55 - 70k range. Thoughts?

Long story short…had an E300 loaner lease that was ending in June 2021. Sold it to vw dealer for just over payoff and bought a new 2020 Passat from them for 7k off MSRP. Sold Passat to a local Lexus dealer in Nov 2021 and made 5k on it. At the same time bought base WRX for MSRP plus glass protection for like a 1k - took about two weeks working with Subaru dealer to get it at msrp. Loving every day I drive the WRX.

2 Likes

Congratulations - hell of a journey and you landed well. Did you opt for a base WRX? Maybe I just need to drive one of these - I personally love the looks of the '21.

You can easily find a high-mid mileage 997/991 in your price range. If I still had mine, I would have offered it to you, you’re two months late!

1 Like

Luckily, I don’t give 2 Fs what people think of my cars. Besides, the ‘21s are rather tame and adult-looking compared to the US-original bugeye. It also doesn’t draw anywhere near the attention of my hemi orange Daytona Charger anyway. Haha.

I intentionally chose a base model WRX because, for one, it has the best resale margin and, two, I wanted the lightest possible version.

I’ve been eyeing 997s for years but have never come upon the right one at the right time that has the IMS problem already addressed.

1 Like

Only the 2005 997s still carried over the IMS issues (with later engines having been updated by Porsche to increase reliability). Even then, the 04’s and 05’s had a very low failure rate.

I think LM engineering makes a great IMS kit for the 911s and it’s reasonably priced.

Biggest thing you may need to worry about is bore scoring. The 997.2 engines were the first DFI engines and solved all M96/M97 engine issues.

2 Likes

(Full disclosure before I continue: I did not inherit the automotive nostalgia gene.)

I took my checkbook with me when I went to drive a 2014 Carrera Cabriolet about a year ago, practically certain it was going to follow me home even though I’d never driven one.

Perhaps in part because expectations were so high, the experience goes on my short list of the most disappointing test drives of all time (more detailed comments here).

Resale value appealed to my frugal side, but that couldn’t overcome the overwhelming apathy for the car itself.

I would consider a newer generation 911, however.

1 Like

Yep. Base. I did not think it was worth to go up to premium or limited.

1 Like