If I need a car for a few months, should I do Turo or Swapalease or lease a car and put it on Swapalease?

I am in SoCal and may be moving out of the country in the next 3-6 months or so. It isn’t for sure but a decent possibility. And my current car lease is ending in 1 month in May.

So as a result, which option would you guys do and why?

1.) Rent a car for month to month on Turo? It looks like cheapest is ~$700-800/month including everything

2.) Take over a lease on Swapalease

3.) Get a new lease and then put it on Swapalease at the end if I do move

Have you asked the current leasing company about extending your lease? Most will do that.

Swapalelase may be tough to find one that you can take over with the right length and also if you are a seller that you can find a taker and get all the logistics taken care of in time.

This can take 1-2 months to complete.

It’s already been extended lol. They could only extend 2 months and that’s it

Might also consider, Polestar has a flexible lease you can be out of in 5 months. But in your part of the world that’s probably going to cost what a turo would run.

Have you thought about a ride sharing service like uber or lyft? Not sure how often you need the vehicle, could be cheaper depending on your circumstances.

1 Like

AutoNation does “Micro Leases” in California. They’re 6-12 months, so not sure if the 6 mo is too long of a term. Of course it’s more expensive, too.

Sixt has subscription service and rates are not too bad.

2 Likes

Hyundai Evolve+ is also a subscription ev plan with lots of flexibility and insurance included. Looks like hasn’t got to so cal yet. Bay Area is the farthest south.

Look into left over 2023s and swap out. Quite a few folks have had some nice deals on the 5 series. I would go for the 530i as not only it may be cheaper payment, but easier to get out of on SAL due to low payment and cause many regular folks on SAL may think of it for lower gas consumption due to hugh gas prices in CA.

1 Like

What about a 3 series instead of a 530i?

And where would you recommend I go to find a left over 2023 530i?

1 - change your handle to @californialEAving1
2 - 5 series lease better than 3
3 - do your research as 530i/540i had better loyalty incentives last month than 530e
4 - reach out to McKenna (2 So Cal BMW stores) or Sunwise (3 stores in Nor Cal). Both are greedy but still have a bunch of 23 loaners
5 - shoot for at least 25-26% off MSRP, especially towards the EOM, especially since the lease support for 23s may end
6 - brag here upon signing. GL!

PS: DTLA has the most 23s left… but for a reason!

2 Likes

Why would you enter into a long term lease knowing you may have to leave the country in 3-6 months? Having to get rid of your lease is about the last thing you want to deal with if you have to move. It will cost you $500 to take over a BMW lease through SAL, but same issue if you have to leave sooner than expected. I guess if the lease is short enough you can just make the remaining payments and turn in the car early.

5 Likes

thanks for this

Just curious: how do you know that McKenna and Sunwise both have a bunch of 23 loaners left?

Their websites

can I send you a private message?

Can you buy out your current lease then sell the car in 6 mo?

What is the mystery car in question anyway?

Taxes would be killer.

Buy a $10k Camry that you can then sell for $10k when you’re done with it.

Your cost will be sales tax.

1 Like