If I leased a car, but I will not be driving it. Do I have to insurance it, or jus the person who will be driving?

So I leased a car under my name for my father in law. He will be driving it and not me, I have 2 other cars (BMW 330 and Shitbox Jeep XJ). My question is since I will not be driving the car and we live at different addresses do I have to insure the car under my name and add him as a driver or can he go out and get his own insurance or add the car to his current insurance.

Are these my options or am I wrong?

1. Insure the car myself and not add him on as a driver, since we are at diff addresses my insurance will cover him when he drives. And this way if need be I can drive the car too. (MIDDLE $$*)
  2. Insure the car myself and add him on as a driver. (MOST $$$*)
  3. Not insuring the car myself, and having him insurance it under his name with his insurance company. (LEAST $*)
    (*based on quotes I have gotten)

Based in SoCal

You need to be insured and he has to be insured either under you or in separate insurance.

1 Like

Can he get the car insured and add me on as a driver under his policy? His much older with more driving xp so him being main policy holder gets a cheaper premium then the other way around.

No, other way around.

Straw deal == fraud. Which also violates the lease agreement.

5 Likes

The Great Dildini doesn’t understand straw man purchasing, I guess.

Edit: lol @jeisensc our posts appeared at the exact same time.

6 Likes

The Great Dildini asking how to cover up the straw purchase on insurance.

4 Likes

Ok so basically I give him the bimmer and drive the new lease myself

1 Like

Correct, if you want to be legit.

1 Like

Assuming it, too, is not leased.

No bimmer and jeep are paid in full. But quick q about the straw thing, If I want to get someone a car I cant do that? like he didnt tell me to go out and lease him a car. I just know his credit sux and he has not gotten a car for a while so I wanted to him a favor, but I figured it there is a way I can only pay for the car and not insurance it would be financial better for me.

sorry for typos, not used to this keyboard.

You cannot. It comes up regularly:

Now everyone is going to jump in with their many variations (what if it’s my kid? My dog? What if the inlaw lives in my basement)?

There is no way you can argue a car you leased, that is primarily driven by someone else, at another address - is primarily driven by you, the leasee. It’s fraud and violates the lease agreement.

If you want to buy the car, you can do what you want with it.

You signed your name to rent the new BMW from BMWFS for the term, and immediately handed the keys to someone else. If that person couldn’t sign for it themselves, because of credit or income, you defrauded the bank.

1 Like

What you could have done is have him lease with you as a cosigner. Then he is the primary on the insurance, but you’re still helping with the credit issue.

5 Likes

Yea true, just wanted bit of a surprise factor, watched too many movies where ppl buy cars for others lol. This is good you guys are awesome and very helpfull. If anyone has time just to chat about a topic, I dont understand the straw law point. If I put my neck on the line to lease/buy why does the law care if Im buying it for myself or someone else? In other words I dont understand who gets hurt in that type of a transaction.

1 Like

You are not buying the car.

1 Like

The issue is that you signed a contract with the bank, based on your credit, saying that you are the person that is going to retain possession of their asset. It becomes an issue when you essentially give away their property to someone else that they haven’t agreed to.

1 Like

what do you mean?

You didn’t buy it. You leased it. You don’t own it. Huge distinction when it comes to these things

3 Likes

They would either have charged the intended driver a different MF or denied them altogether.

You basically bait-n-switched the bank.

2 Likes