I’ve run out of cars…BMW 5-series or similar cars

I’m not really getting anywhere on my car search. I just extended my lease again so that bought me a coupe more months. I currently drive a 2020 accord. It’s perfect on reliability, style, and space. I’m 6’3” and I am starting to realize that limits me from a couple of cars.

I was set on an i4, then I learned about the infrastructure. No supercharger network for BMW and no home charging for me. Then I was set on the 4 series coupe. It’s a rare car and doesn’t lease well. The 3 series was a similar size on paper so I went to test drive it. I had an inch of head space after the seat was adjusted. This car leased way better so that sucks. I also test drove the 5 series. Loved the ride quality and the interior, but I can’t get past the exterior style…at all. So I’ve looked at other brands and even tried to back out of the luxury segment to widen my search but nothing feels like an upgrade. Even with other luxury brands (Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, Audi), their interiors feel really outdated and I loved the way the BMW’s drove. I really don’t like test driving cars I’m not feeling because I hate wasting peoples time.

I can’t change my height so I’m out of luck there but I would like to have something in mind for when my lease ends.

Also Tesla is an option but the quality issues really bother me and I’m not sure I would have much more luck in a model 3. Also their leases aren’t much better.

I’ve looked into loaners as well and I’m too picky for those….theres some options I absolutely have to have.
Currently looking at SUV’s but I really prefer the styling that comes in a sedan.

What about an 8 series ?

This is one of the drawbacks to leasing, for me.

Very few cars appeal to me (at all), and the end of a lease forces the timing of the next decision to a large extent. You can’t do extensions forever.

I’m almost as tall as you, and the only two vehicles that have presented meaningful issues for me are the Jeep Wrangler (knees crammed into the dash, but this vehicle was never a consideration anyway, it was a friend’s) and a former boss’s ancient 560SL with the hard top in place (could only drive with my head tilted).

Of course, proportions differ from human to human.

Since you like the Accord, why not another Accord (or buy the one you have)?

The new generation of accord is different, looks like a VW and they have no sport trims. I was also hoping to get above 200 hp on my next lease.
I like leasing so I can get into a new car every couple of years. Although I love the accord I’m ready for the next thing.

BMW uses the Electrify America charging network, which is one of the largest fast charging networks in the US. BMW owners will also be allowed to use the Tesla network beginning in 2025.

1 Like

I would love that but…my wallet wouldn’t. Plus I need a car that I can’t take long distances occasionally. The 8 series isn’t an everyday all day type of car.

Toss out a target price range for better suggestions.

I would like to be $850 or less/month. But I also want the car to be somewhat worth the price. For reference, I know the market is horrible for ICE’s right now but the dealership quoted me $850 for a 3 series that was $55k. Size and height aside that’s insane.

Where are you located? Would you consider a 2023 5 series loaner?

I’ll keep that in mind. I’ve been readying about all the issues with EA but having access to the supercharger network would be perfect. I’ve read about many of the other automakers hoping on, I wonder how it will alll turn out. :sweat_smile:

Indiana is where it would be registered.-46222

Yes but there are certain options I would need and I know loaners don’t always have a ton of options.

A dealership quoted me 2x what I ended up paying the next day for my e-tron GT.

Didn’t matter, I was only there for a test drive.

Look at Marketplace to get a better idea of what things should actually cost.

Then make offers, don’t ask for quotes.

And shop out of market. I saved $18,000 ($500/month) on my BMW lease by shopping in the DC area (car is in Ohio).

1 Like

Toyota crown has huge discounts. I don’t like sedans but they do drive pretty nice. I think I’m like $6000 off. Leases well. Camry has decent discounts too and solid leases.

IMG_5908
IMG_5909

1 Like

That is not always the case with loaners. I have seen brokers advertise well-optioned loaners in the Marketplace. Not sure what specific options you are looking for, but your best be might to reach out to @AutoCompanion or one of the other brokers via DM. You might have to ship to Indiana, so don’t forget to take that into account.

Are you looking for a 530 or 540? There were some crazy loaner deals on the 2023 530 in the high 5s/low 6s recently, with first and fees due at signing. That is well within your $850/month budget. How many miles do you drive a year?

1 Like

Thanks! I’m in touch already, but there’s one option that is almost never on loaners that OP is looking to get, so I made some suggestions.

1 Like

Looking for either 530 or 540 xDrive. I need 12k miles per year. I’ve been keeping an eye on the BMW brokers who ship nationwide. I am speaking with Auto Companion now.

2 Likes

I love my G87 M2, obviously would be over your price range but even a base 230i should meet your criteria. I have owned G20 3 series cars as well and the difference in size is the smaller back seats and the trunk. Front seats are just as spacious as the G20.

I feel like that would be too small for me. The 3 series only gave me an inch of space between my head and ceiling.

The best luxury car for that is an E-class or 5 series, both should easily be within your budget.

Should be targeting an effective $700 or less

2 Likes

The upcoming e class or the 2023?