I got a flat tire with 10 days left on lease!

Question for the forum: My lease was scheduled to expire in May. I made the election to extend my lease by two additional months and the car is due back July 3rd. Today as I was pulling out of a parking spot, my tire pressure light went on. It was at 26 psi and before I go home was sitting at 0 psi. I have run flat tires so I’m able to drive home. However, run flats also means that tire centers won’t plug the hole if it’s even possible and that I will most likely have to buy a new tire. I usually replace my tires through the BMW dealership for the 1 year road hazard warranty. Since the car is due back in roughly 10 days, the warranty factor doesn’t matter for this situation. I can return my car at any point and don’t need to wait until July 3rd. So my question for the forum is what is the move here? 1) Return the car now and let them deal with the tire issue? 2) Go to a cheap third party tire center and have them replace the current tire with a new one. 3) Some other, better option that I’m not aware of? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Are you not allowed to get patches?

Some if not most run flats are hard to get a tire place to patch them.

OP- not sure I understand why the BMW dealer road hazard warranty does not apply?

IIRC, BMW will likely require 4 matching tires with a minimum tread depth.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it depend where the tire has an issue? Get it patched right before going to the dealer to drop it off

Yes, the tire needs to be fixed or patched or replaced with a matching tire if it is indeed getting replaced. Side question- Did you check if you have any equity (even break even is cheaper than a disposition fee) before turning it in?

1 Like

I sure if you call around you can find a place to patch it.

2 Likes

Can also see if there happens to be a worn match on ebay. Can get a tire depth gauge and check the depth.

May be a lot of work and hard to do in 10 days but an option.

2 Likes

Thank you for making me check this. The front tire was replaced 7/11/2022. It still falls under the roadside hazard warranty of one year (barely). I will drop at dealership tonight and have the service department replace it tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

1 Like

Dealerships have Roadside Hazard for tires?

When you purchase your tires through them and have them install yes. Usually you just have to taxes and fees which turn a $500 job to a $75 job.

Of all the junk fees they could charge , tire road hazard would make the most sense

If it wasn’t covered under your roadhazard warranty, I would say just plug it yourself. $15 worth of plug tools and needle nose pliers and you’d be back in the road in 20 min, maybe a bit longer if you have to take tire off car (which you might need to if it’s not an SUV).

It’s a run flat, very difficult to ‘plug’

1 Like

Yes and mercedes for example is awesome. They matched the tire price of other companies and include free road hazard protection. Ive gotten 3 total free replacements by buying tires from dealer.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.