I got 99 problems and a Frontier ain’t one. (A new year’s guide to a transitory lease in a car you probably don’t want)

If I am doing a One Pay lease are the MSD’s calculated using the One Pay base payment before MSD’s? Dealer is telling me it is calculated using the base payment of a standard lease. This is so confusing. I now know why dealers don’t want to bother with them.

Calculated using the MF of the One Pay program (.00286), before the MF reduction for the MSD’s.

Thanks for confirming. That’s what I thought. Dealer thinks otherwise.

To be fair the wording in the NMAC MSD bulletin is ambiguous.

I also had a dealer quote me an rv of 92% for the pro4x for feb. Hopefully that’s incorrect

Last night I had a broker and the moderators on Edmunds tell me that the program lasts till the end of the day. There’s probably about 0% chance I could get something signed today. They all act like they have lines of people waiting to sign. It takes them 20 minutes to answer any one of my questions.

Also, on Nissan USA, they have their lease deals, and in the fine print they end 1/31

Yeah, I have given up, it doesn’t seem like dealers are interested in selling cars using the one-pay program.

I’m driving to a dealer now, and they have the frontier marked down 7% so it will be about $800 over the $100 threshold. Should I mention it to them, or wait for it to get turned back and try to get them to write me a check or at worse cough up the extra money.

I would mention it, they may be willing to write the contract so that it will conform to NMAC’s requirements and simply reduce you DAS on their end so that you get the full discount on the truck. Or, they could just cut you a check as you indicated.

If you wait for NMAC to kick it back, who knows how the dealer will handle it.

Can someone help me figure out how to put this into the calculator correctly? Also the dealer is calculating the MSD as something a lot more than the calculator. Dealer is saying MSD would be $4000

MSRP: 38150

Sales Tax: 7%

Selling Price: 36950

Term: 18 Months

Milage: 10k

RV: 94

Base MF: 0.00286

One Pay

Max MSD’s

Acquisition Fee: 650

Dealer Fee: 1198

Gov Fees: 906.5

Net Cap Cost: 40121.04
Net Cap Reduction -3171.04

MF they are presenting is: 0.00183

Below is what I got using the calculator.

Before worrying about the calculator there are a lot of things off here.

Total MSD should be a multiple of 9*$50=$450. $4,000 isn’t a multiple of $450.

NMAC acquisition fee is $695 not $650.

On a NMAC one pay selling price should equal gross cap cost should equal adjusted cap cost. All fees are paid up front not capitalized.

MF should be 0.00286 - (9*0.00010) = 0.00196

I believe the ‘payment’ used to calculate MSD’s is rounded up to the nearest $50 increment. So, it could end in $x00. In my case, $2,700 ($300 each MSD).

$2,700 is a multiple of $450.

I see your point now, I thought you were inferring that the per MSD amount needed to end in $x50.

But also, no one should do anything other than nine MSDs✔️.

Ok so no one can write an email or tweet to NMAC?

I did a One Pay last night. Did the dealer calculate the taxes correctly and put it in the right place? He put the sales tax on line 4. G. The One Pay contracts I have seen here had the sales tax on 5. J. I thought the tax should be the Total Base Payment ($6245.10) X 7% tax = $437.16. If it is not correct with NMAC kick it back and make the dealer correct it?
Contract Page 1.pdf (626.6 KB)

Does anyone know February numbers for Pro-4x trim?

I wanted to share my experience for anyone shopping around for this Frontier one-pay deal. I haven’t purchased yet, and may not, but I have spoken to a lot of dealers over the past several weeks.

No one likes doing one-pay leases. Most dealerships don’t even know how to do it, but even the ones that do, hate them. They are very complex, and not worth the headache for them, as non-standard leases pay less commission (that’s what I was told). Some even used the excuse “we don’t like to do them because of customers losing their entire payment if the truck gets totaled.” Out of about a dozen dealerships I’ve spoken with, only 3 didn’t give me a 100% no, and only one of them drew up an offer that came anywhere close to those I’ve seen in this forum (I posted it in this thread). I held out for a better deal, as I don’t absolutely need a new vehicle right now, but so far, no one else has come close.

Once you’ve found someone willing to do the one-pay, the other half of the equation is the discount. I’m by no means an expert here, but my goal has been at least $2K difference between MSRP and selling price, and really I’d rather it be closer to $3K. I’ve been specifically going after the Frontier Pro-4X, and wanted a deal that worked out to sub-$300 per month. And by my math, this is where the discount has to be to get there. (don’t even get me started on MSDs – that seems impossible given how tough the one-pay thing alone has been).

A quick note for those that are package/feature hunting - it’s my understanding that all Pro-4X models (and possibly pro-x) include the larger 9-inch display and wireless Apple CarPlay. I have been targeting the convenience package, as it adds a factory spray-in bed liner, wireless charging (great combo with wireless CarPlay), and the all-around camera stuff for off-roading (and parking) aid. The Premium package adds leather, a sunroof, the 10 speaker system, and the sharper-looking wheels. Those are nice to have, but not musts for me.

The residual on the Pro-4x dropped from 98% to 95% last month. If it drops again, I’ll probably shelve the idea. I hope it doesn’t though. These are nice little trucks that get great reviews, and it’d be nice to take the equity I have in my current truck and dip out of this wacky used car market for 18 months.

3 Likes

The short story is…you are finding the same thing others have, and a good part of it is dealer incompetence. It’s easier to just go to a known dealer and skip the headaches.