Hyundai Sonata SEL. Looking for help breaking down a lease deal

Hi all,

Trying to break down where they’re trying to screw me here and where I can make some changes.

Car is a 2020 Hyundai Sonata SEL with Convenience, MSRP is $28,245 but they’re asking $22,809 on autotrader with some incentives. I attached the calculator price with no adjustments based on the numbers I got from Edmonds. The payment ends up similar but I see some things they’re charging that I feel like I could get taken off or changed before I even negotiate on price.

Obviously the “perma tag” will come off, not doing that. I’m trying to land in the $260 range, preferably with zero drive-off.

Thanks for the help!

1. You wrote 2000 off, not ~5000 off in your calculator. Says $382/month on mine
  2. You saw it in AutoTrader, that doesn’t mean that’s what they are going to charge you.

Can’t do much without some of the other figures corrected.

Yes, the current incentive is $2,000 off. I know I wouldn’t be getting the asking price on autotrader per se, because that’s for a finance and includes incentives that don’t apply like college grad, first responder, etc. but I just wanted to mention it for more information

I did notice that the screenshot never posted though, so I just fixed that

Take whatever their offer/posted price is and throw it in the trash. It’s irrelevant.

Given the current lease programs, what pre-incentive discount is required to get you to your $260 number? What is $260 based on?

1 Like

$260 would be taking around $3000 off of MSRP with zero drive off if I’m doing the calculations right

You sure about that?

Add-on and doc fee is more than two grand on a less than 30k car… You are not going anywhere with them.

That $260 is a bit low.
In CA for an SEL Plus it’s $290 OTD.

Erp $315 with 15k

I don’t think I’d need to pay for perma plate, whatever that is. Don’t know for sure but I’d walk if that can’t be taken off. It’s not on their window sticker. What could/should I do about the doc fee? Seemed high to me too.

It’s a model-year old and this is just SEL, not SEL plus

Dealers won’t really negotiate doc fee. You can try for a larger discount to account for it or target a deal in a different state.

There’s $25 ($1k) difference so $290? Still not close to your $260 want price.

$260 requires $4600 off msrp, assuming no add ons.

Have you found any shared deals or market place listings that support a 16% pre-incentive target on a sonata?

I may just be misunderstanding you, but the base price difference between SEL and SEL Plus (for MY 2021) is $2,500 so wanting to drop $30/mo seems feasible to me? Especially since this is a 2020 that hasn’t moved

Doesn’t work that way for comparing different trims/model years.

I fixed my original calculator to reflect the actual dealer fees since I didn’t change them in the original link, I modified the mileage to 36/12 since that’s what it was supposed to be all along, and I changed the way the tax was levied since this particular car is for sale in GA, not my home state (I live right on the border)

Sorry for all the changes, still trying to learn how everything works. I appreciate the help

You’re going to be taxed based on where you live, not where the dealer is.

1 Like

The 2021 SEL Plus I am looking at is $29.8k Your Car is appx 27.5k
So $50 off from 315 down to 265.

Ok so now your numbers are looking better, get rid of the useless $1295 extras and your price point could be met assuming they are willing to deal on a 2020.

1 Like

The mileage listed in the calculator is irrelevant as.long as you have the rv correct. If you had the mileage wrong, input the rv, and then changed the mileage, the calculator adjusted the rv to what is now the wrong value.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.