Hummer may rise from the ashes...as an EV

Oh I see, and that’s POV is based on what data.

I’m guessing he’s making a good educated guess based on everyone being goo goo over Tesla and panning GM. I mean, one person saying they want that Cybertuck is amazing to me, and they have a waiting list.

To be fair, Tesla does have a big head start in the electric space, so I do see his point. I’m not saying I agree with or understand the glowing perception Tesla has based on them focusing on the tech first and fixing (or not) their poor build quality issues second, but people seem to put their priorities in those things with regard to Tesla. Personally, If I’m dropping that much scratch on a car, it better at least have a dashboard and not what you currently see, but they have enough of a following now, my opinion means nothing to them, and I’m sure they won’t lose sleep over me not choosing them.

Maybe that will change when the legacy cars start coming online and people have more of a choice. Time will tell. Right now though, agree or disagree with them, they are the leader in that space.

Can you say Hammermania?

Not at all…nothing to do with TSLA but all to do with the last 2 years of sales data. Hummer sales dropped to 9046 in 2009 and 3812 in 2010. I also expect limited production from the manufacturer. The price will definitely not make it popular either.
If I’m dropping that kind of $ on a car someone better be driving me around…so i could not care less about the dash.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/reservations-gmcs-113-000-hummer-162709763.html

No idea how many spots they had open but it looks like there is more interest than I anticipated.

My guess is 5,000 or fewer to start. There are only going to be so many people willing to (or that have the means to) shell out 100 large for a car. With GM’s having a historically low resale value, and EVs in general (not named Tesla) being worse yet, they’d be smart to keep it artificially low anyways to try and potentially help that.

And before anyone starts to wonder…NO, there will be no hack-worthy deals on these for any time in the foreseeable future.

Not surprised by this considering they killed Hummer in early Q2 2010 when GM needed to get the bailout money, the economy was still in tatters and the public perception of GM soured for their wastefulness.

1 Like

Hummer sales numbers from the past are completely irrelevant to this vehicle. Price won’t be an issue, I doubt production numbers will be high enough to create an over inventory issue(for awhile). I can guarantee you that plenty of rich Tesla lovers in the mountains of Colorado will snap these up(or any snowy area/second home areas with current Tesla owners). As far resale, I would suspect that since this a purpose built ev, the resale won’t be as terrible as an ice vehicle converted into an ev.

Let’s remember Tesla is a tech company, not a car company, once Ford/GM/VW get a few models under their belt and some experience, they will put the hurt on Tesla. The production capacities and r&d budgets of the big boys will catch up at some point, then the parties over on Tesla having the majority of the EV market. I saw a couple Mustang Mach E’s the other day at Whole Paycheck and they looked well put together, even for pre production/test cars.

2 Likes

Given this and cyber truck are refundable $100 reservations, my gut says there are a lot of squatters just waiting to see what happens and hoping there is a possibility to flip given limited quantities.

1 Like

Well you can forget about leasing one of these. No haggle pricing model, no incentives either. On the bright side at least there’s no markup from dealers.

3 Likes

That’s what was said about the Bolt…it was supposed to take from TSLA market share, tech and cars do mix and they proved it…i remember how surprised i was about the low sales numbers (2000-2500 per month). No one is taking Tesla’s crown, not for a long time…i have hopes that VW may actually do something significant…in a few years. GM? I would not bet my $ on it.
I doubt there will be much cross shopping between the 2 manufacturers mostly due to the price point. Performance wise, the Hummer numbers look good…350 miles (guessing 200 kWh battery), 1000hp, 10 min fast charging for 100 miles (that’s pretty much the most current tech allows), 0-60 in 3 s…hopefully the 60 to 0 is decent. I can’t wait to see this thing on the road!