How to Purchase Lexus at Lease End? Advice?

This is true in many states; you can purchase your leased car at end of lease directly from the lessor. However, statute in several states do not allow a lessor to sell the leased car because a lessor is not a licensed vehicle dealer. In the state of Florida, state Statute 320.27 (1) (c) prevents the lessor from sell me my leased car.

There are some lessors that do have the proper licenses though. I had no issue buying out my Honda lease directly in Florida a few months ago.

That is good to know. Thanks for posting the info

Update:

I ended up simply extended the lease for 6 months. It now expires in about 40 days. 1 payment left.

The equity in the car has dropped a little. Today, KBB is listing it as $45,000 for trade-in and $49,000 for private party.

The used car market has cooled off and also companies like carvana are struggling (lower earnings/lower profits/stock price dumping). So, Vroom has offered me only $41,000 and Carvana only $39,000. A LOT less than trade-in value.

If I can lease a similar luxury SUV for around $600/mo., I would go ahead and do that today. But, is that possible? I will have to look around.

Are you open to leasing the same vehicle again? You can find good discounts on the 22s because of the redesign coming next year. With inception and MSD due upfront, you will somewhere around $550-600

I will recommend getting offers from all these places, tfs allow third party buyout so you can sell to anyone. If you want you can use that equity toward MSDs and down payment

Yes - I’m open to leasing same vehicle again, but I’d want the payment to be less than $600/mo.

I’m also open to just selling my car to any dealer if they can give me the $45k trade in value, that would net me +$10k. Then, I can go lease any other car I want.

I have to figure out something fast…

$45k will be a stretch, especially with the redesign next year and the market softening.

KBB just gave me a $43,000 cash buyout offer online.

Now you gotta find a dealer that will honor it. Try some other places too, you might get $45k. Did you try CarMax?

did not try carmax yet - ive tried them 3 times in the past before, spent 1 hour doing the inspection, and low-balled me by $3-4,000 lower than carvana / vroom all 3 times.

You don’t need to do a full appraisal to get an offer. Just get a instant cash offer, it’s gonna take 2 minutes

For some reason, the last few times I tried it, it always asked me to bring in car for in-person appriasal.

Just tried it for this RX 350, and got a $43,400 offer. Not bad. Thanks for suggestion.

1 Like

My current RX350 is $60,000 MSRP. My lease buyout price today is $35k. KBB trade-in value is $45k.

In order to lease a similar luxury SUV, in this market, it looks like I’ll be paying $800/mo. with 2-3k down.

I’m now leaning towards just buying out the car and keeping it for 2 years. After 2 years, I can probably sell it for $35k (I drive only 5k miles/year).

So, what do you guys think of that idea? vs selling now for $44k, getting $9k profit and leasing a new SUV for $800+/mo. ?

Did you look at the Alfa Stelvio? It is leasing for the high 500s with 3k down.

I will check it out, but I need something loaded. My current RX350 has pretty much all the packages and wife will not want to downgrade

Buying out your car sounds way better than spending $800+ on what used to be sub-$500 cars.

The other option is cashing out your equity and financing something that holds its value well, like a new RX. Or something electrified that has a big federal tax credit.

1 Like

MSDs make no sense in this environment, and Lexus Financial appears not to be offering them.

It does make sense and Lexus financial is offering it, you just have to find a dealer that understand MSDs

You can get a better return on an i-bond