How to Purchase Lexus at Lease End? Advice?

So with the companies you mentioned I can bypass the LFS buyout and pocket the difference or still have to buy from LFS first ?

Bypass. they can bypass it. For now. TFS may change their mind in a week.

Got you thanks and I still pocket the difference if the bid is priced well right ? I get a separate check and TFS/LFS gets a separate check?

Yes you get a separate check, it might not be right away (as title has to change hands) but using a company like Carmax will mean they won’t cheat you or anything.
But it will say in the contract with Carmax how much you get and how much TFS gets

Sounds like a plan. Any experience with Lexus extending leases by a 6 months right now if bid is bad ?

YMMV , it really depends on them. Call them, that’s the only way to know.

Bmw stopped doing 6 month extensions now they only do 2 (:

Also did Lexus offer 0% for 60 months financing this December to remember which is still going on?

All I’m seeing is 1.9% aprs

That kinda lease is a non-starter. Someone would have to be really dumb to take it.

Called Lexus Financial Svcs today.

They offered me a 6 month extension.
They also said I can purchase the car directly from LFS, without going to a dealer, if I am paying cash or using 3rd party financing (which I am).

So, looks like I can save the $1k dealer fee by just buying direct from LFS. No brainer there.

My plan now is to decide whether I want to buy a new $64,000 car or buy my current 2020 for roughly $39k. I am leaning towards just buying my current car, since that will result in the lower monthly payment. I realize I would lose out on the 12k equity offered by Vrooom, but then I will also have to fork over a large down payment if I go with a new 2022 $64k purchase.

I thought about this and then wondered if buying a new 2022 is worth if, from a financial standpoint. I’m not so sure. I love the current 2020 and its got only 10k miles. Im happy with the car as is.

My 2020 is fully loaded, $60k MSRP, I would want an equal 2022 model, roughly $60K MSRP today. Assuming I get same 5% off, I’m at $57,000 + tax+ fees, brings me to $63,000 new car loan.

If you “credit” the $12,000 from sale of my 2020, we can say the 2022 cost me $51,000.

My current car payoff is $42,000 including tax. So payment $750/mo.

The 2022 car loan would be $51,000 including tax. Payment $900/mo.

Even AFTER taking into account the $12k credit, my monthly cost goes up by $150/mo.

Plus: the big depreciation hit on 2020 is already taken. So, I will incur less depreciation on the 2020, than on the 2022 - for which the big depreciation hit will come in year 1.

So, this leads me to think buying my current lease is the best, from a financial standpoint.

If you plan to buy, look into Lightstream and Penfed, both have good used car loans.

1 Like

thanks - ive done multiple loans with PenFed and currently have a auto loan with them.

1 Like

The current generation RX is long in the tooth and I believe will be totally redesigned for 2023.

I do agree with you that paying extra to go from a low mile 2020 to a new 2022 doesn’t make a ton of sense, as nothing has changed.

But, $12k is a shit ton of equity and other midsize SUV competitors have already gotten their remodel.

My local Acura dealer is selling the redesigned mdx at msrp, no markup. A well equipped model is about $54k and highest trim is around 60k.

I’d rather cash out the equity and get into the new Acura than buy out the Lexus. You could also look at non-luxury brands. Even a loaded highlander could make more sense.

If you plan to keep the car forever and drive it into the ground, then buy it out now. But don’t extend the lease, and don’t buy it out with the intention of selling it in 6 months, a year, etc.

At 10k miles over 3 years, do you need luxury? I just cashed out equity in my 2021 rx350L and purchased a loaded 2022 Kia Sorento at sticker ($42.5k). The Kia is more modern and has features my Lexus didn’t have. You could also look at the corporate cousin Hyundai Santa Fe.

OP if You can please update us on this.

This is true in many states; you can purchase your leased car at end of lease directly from the lessor. However, statute in several states do not allow a lessor to sell the leased car because a lessor is not a licensed vehicle dealer. In the state of Florida, state Statute 320.27 (1) (c) prevents the lessor from sell me my leased car.

There are some lessors that do have the proper licenses though. I had no issue buying out my Honda lease directly in Florida a few months ago.

That is good to know. Thanks for posting the info

Update:

I ended up simply extended the lease for 6 months. It now expires in about 40 days. 1 payment left.

The equity in the car has dropped a little. Today, KBB is listing it as $45,000 for trade-in and $49,000 for private party.

The used car market has cooled off and also companies like carvana are struggling (lower earnings/lower profits/stock price dumping). So, Vroom has offered me only $41,000 and Carvana only $39,000. A LOT less than trade-in value.

If I can lease a similar luxury SUV for around $600/mo., I would go ahead and do that today. But, is that possible? I will have to look around.

Are you open to leasing the same vehicle again? You can find good discounts on the 22s because of the redesign coming next year. With inception and MSD due upfront, you will somewhere around $550-600

I will recommend getting offers from all these places, tfs allow third party buyout so you can sell to anyone. If you want you can use that equity toward MSDs and down payment