How to negotiate with a gm family discount

Ok so sorry if this has been answered before but I searched and could not find an exact answer to my question. I have a lease that’s ending on a 2017 Chevy Trax and want to upgrade to a 2020 Equinox LT 1.5L. I found the MF is .00044 and the RV is 59%. I can qualify for $1000 loyalty and aside from that the only other incentives going is a local dealer has an ad showing a $1000 buy American bonus.
Looking on gm family first site it looks like the gm discount for this model is around 7% off of MSRP(my dad gave me a code as he is retired from GM)

My questions are

1. can I or should I negotiate a lower price off of MSRP with the dealer first and then add the GM discount on top of what I negotiated or would they not be able to add that on top of however much they would be willing to go down on price? Not sure if it’s a one or the other type of situation when that comes into play.

2. when using the calculator is the GM discount considered a taxed incentive, untaxed incentive, or should it just be considered in the starting MSRP?

As an example I plugged in some numbers into the calculator based on an LT I found on Edmunds that includes the comfort and convenience package and a few other minor things, and on there the dealer price was 4.7% below MSRP and then I punched in the $1000 Loyalty and the equivalent gm discount amount into the taxed incentives field and this is what I got. Not sure if this is the correct approach or not. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks!

Always work on the discounts of sales price before mentioning any incentives that you qualify for.

1 Like

But also be VERY clear that you’re working on “pre-incentive” discounts

2 Likes

Ok so just to be clear the gm discount can be applied on top of whatever discounted price I negotiate prior and is not just strictly off the original MSRP? Also did I plug in the figures correctly by putting the discount under the taxed incentive section of the calculator?

Are we talking employee or supplier? Employee should be more than 7%

Gm family. When I looked at the family first site for the equinox lt the discount amount came out to just a hair above 7%