How to handle the acquisition fee

I am looking to lease a Tacoma and would like to pay the acquisition fee up front so it isn’t rolled into the cap cost. I have a dealership saying that they will list it as “down”, like down payment. Is that the right way to do it? If not, how should it be listed?

There is option to roll it to pre-paid. Just increases drive off

Dealer should be able break it down however you want. You aren’t paying anything specifically, rather just upfront out of pocket. Everything else is rolled in. Isn’t Toyota MF dirt cheap though? Always put down as little as possible.

Tacoma MF is sky high. OP probably doesn’t want to pay interest and tax for the acq fee.

The dealer I am working with here in Utah works with US Bank so they seem really low compared to TFS. I just want to get the lowest payment I can so I if I can lower it by paying the acq. fee upfront, unless its foolish to do so, thats what I will do.

These guys have been great to work with so if they benefit from it being considered a down payment and it doesn’t affect me any then I’m indifferent to how the cookie crumbles in the end.

Doesn’t matter how you apply it. If you pay $695 up front (I have no idea what toyota acq fee is), it does not matter if it applies to doc fee, acq fee, or cap cost reduction because the end result payment will be the same.

Ive never tried to roll the Acq on US Bank deals. They are so picky with everything I don’t mess with it. Cash down for the $695 is the best way I guess.

So is the total price leased the subtotal or estimated total price?

Neither. You are looking at the purchase option, not leasing worksheet. Those taxes aren’t applicable for a lease, but you need to account for whatever is capped on the lease.

Cap cost is just the total price above no? What number should I be looking at as the price I am financing for the lease?

Cap cost is the sales price. The adjusted cap cost is the final price after capping any fees/taxes/etc and including all rebates/cap cost reduction.

1 Like

Oh ok, got it. It sounds like I should ask for those two numbers before I do anything then, yeah?

Ask for the lease worksheet. It should list everything.

2 Likes

Whoa! Cap cost is not the sales price IF there are capped fees…
Gross cap = sell price + capped fees
Net cap = Gross cap - cap reductions

Is it “mandatory” to pay an acquisition fee? Can the dealership waive it?

An acquisition fee is paid to the fund provider and may be capped in the lease or paid upfront. Also, this fee may be waived by the fund provider in exchange for a higher lease rate.