Tesla Ordering Tips - And Most Other Reasonable Things Tesla

It doesn’t get credited back. It gets applied the $250 order fee line item on the contract. You’re out the $250 upfront, it’s just bookkept on the purchase. You’re still paying $250 + whatever the vehicle cost is.

It’s basically:

Upfront Order Payment: $250

Price: $40,000
Order fee: $250
Net Price: $40250
Order fee applied: $250
Total due at delivery: $40,000

The total cost to get the car is $40250, with $250 paid up front and the vehicle price paid when you get the car.

5 Likes

Lol, Elon got me then. I thought my $100 was credited back. shakes fist

Everyone seems to think that.

It’s a brilliant strategy… they call it an order fee so they skirt around state requirements regarding nonrefundable deposits and their math at the end makes people think it’s ok, because they get it credited back anyway when they get the car.

Instead, it’s just an extra bs fee that they pocket regardless.

It’s the same sort of mind game that makes people think that because they only sell at MSRP, that the price is fixed and doesn’t move to match market conditions like everything else. How many people have we seen post saying “well, I guess Tesla is the way to go now because you can still get one for MSRP unlike everyone else asking over MSRP?”

1 Like

And of course the document that broke down the final payment details is not on the website. All I see is initial order agreement and financing paperwork. The sheet that broke down the pricing details is not there anymore.

edit: I found the pricing breakdown! Took a screenshot before delivery.

After doing the math by hand, still not sure if I actually got the $100 order fee back or not. Tesla’s math is extra fuzzy.

Tesla pricing already has “market adjustment” associated with it. Similar to how Jeep increased their MSRP’s as well. But at least, there’s not another middleman that tries to upcharge you in the process. Musk gets it all …

Yes, they do adjust it… but most people don’t perceive it that way. They just see MSRP is MSRP is MSRP. That’s my point.

1 Like

Totally agree with you and have the same anger towards this. I like the vehicle but really not how the company conducts its business or Musk as a whole.

1 Like

Hell, I’m impressed at the manipulation of perception.

Looks like this is turning in to another Tesla debate thread…

Here is my breakdown with the deceptive $250 charge.

At least their MF is better than BMW in recent quotes I received LOL

I will send you $250 in exchange for you delivering me a Tesla at today’s price with tax credits when I want it …

1 Like

It’s really not. It’s staying completely on topic, it just took 20 posts to explain how buyers are being ripped off by $250 without realizing it, and I can bet that some still don’t get it.

1 Like

I think it’s been pretty civil here so far. You are going to have tension considering this is an open forum catering to multiple brands vs Tesla-specific. We all have gripes with dealers and their processes - Tesla isn’t that different from them.

That’s not what’s happening here. You give me $250 and I’ll deliver you a M3 at some point in unspecified future, with unspecified specs, and considering that Tesla doesn’t have model years, it may or may not be the same car as it is when you are ordering. There also may not be a car at all, just more future dates, or a bicycle called Model 3, or pretty much any range of promises that I clearly would not have to fulfill for any reason of my choosing. If at any point you get fed up with waiting and cancel, I keep the money. At the same time, since it’s an order fee and not a deposit, I will not be restricted by the rules of accounting and can use the money any way I see fit including inflating my net worth.

Let’s go, let’s see some checks people!!!

How do you figure?

Tesla MF here is .0019583

Buy rate BMW is .00093. Max mark up is still .00133, making it a good bit less than what Tesla is doing.

1 Like

I got quotes ranging from .00113 - .002xx 3 weeks ago when I was shopping for my X5, ended up buying to take advantage of the tax credit.

This does not make sense for a BMW and must be incorrect information. Even with a max dealer mark up AND a max low tier credit mark up, it can’t be over .00163 (.00093 buy rate + .0004 dealer mark up + .0003 tier mark up).

Did you get that mf in writing or did you estimate that to get to a price point?

Did you get that mf in writing or did you estimate that to get to a price point?

The guy at Crevier BMW showed me his screen, I’m pretty sure it’s .002xx, I walked right after this.

And my credit score is 830.

1 Like

Was it a used vehicle/demo/cpo on a used lease program?

Brand new X5 PHEV, I then called Irvine BMW same day and they offer .00113 on the phone, I came and they offered buy rate even for lease, but I ended up buying.

Crevier was so cocky, they didn’t even want to take my Fleet certificate.