Tesla Ordering Tips - And Most Other Reasonable Things Tesla

Seems the sweet spot is 2020 Model 3 SR+'s with between 5-6k miles.
https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1879896

2 Likes

I’m starting to suspect serious bullshit with the tesla prices on carvana. clicking on a carfax report for this car does not provide a report but rather just leads to “purchase a report”. and a 2020 car with 5k miles having 10 carfax records is a bit suspect. Same thing with the 2019 listed a little higher. Both cars have a disclaimer that they may have been fleet vehicles of some sort.

So, judging from this post it is true - the best deal in town has become a new Tesla since at least they are still at MSRP. I have mine on order for when Uncle Joe gives me 7.5k to buy it…

1 Like

They just keep raising the msrp instead of selling for the old msrp with a mark up.

What’s the difference?

4 Likes

Look like Tesla credits back the order fee, I remember someone said the fee is on top of the sale price, which was not the case for our M3

because $45k MSRP is better deal than $35k MSRP + $5k markup. Learn to math! /s

( also the numbers are fictitious to demonstrate a point, so no need for everyone to start screaming that there is no $35k car to begin with)

1 Like

Order fee has been on top of the sale price going back to at least July if not earlier.

1 Like

It might appear that they credit you back but it’s a separate line item where they charge you as well.

1 Like

That makes it no longer a fee, right? There are 2 credit line items in my invoice: $250 order fee and $1500 CA clean air rebate

Edit: Can’t upload picture to the forum now, stuck at 100%

Look at the top half of your invoice. Isn’t the order fee there too, just like destination or doc?

2 Likes

They are crediting it back to you because you paid for it when you ordered - similar to how they credit your downpayment, etc.

3 Likes

Oh right, they add it to to total price of the car in a separate section.

Yeah, you only are out the $250 if you cancel your order/don’t end up taking delivery.
It is definitely NOT a deposit though, which some people still think is the case.

It’s not really credited back as it gets applied to a separate line item on the purchase sheet. It’s not like it’s applied to the sales price.

Good save.

I love how people are ok with this. Can everyone who’s ok with this, send me $250 in exchange for the same no car that you get your current way? Or honestly better yet every time you want to gift Tesla $250, just give it to charity of some sort.

Yes, you are correct. I was trying to explain that there is a line item charging you and another showing your payment. It never applies to the sales price of the vehicle and is definitely an extra cost (posted it in the original post as well)

Definitely not okay with it - its a crap dealer fee that still gets applied even if you dont pick up your order. But if you do pick it up, it still is an extra fee.

Gotcha. When I think of it being credited back, I interpret that as if you go through with the purchase, they apply the $250 fee as a credit towards your costs. I suppose technically that’s what’s going on, as they credit the fee to the fee, but I wouldn’t normally interpret it that way.

The $250 fee essentially disappears as long as you take delivery, right? You get charged it when you place your order, then when you take delivery the $250 gets credited back so it’s like it never was charged.
I need to look back at my paperwork, because I’m pretty sure the $100 fee I got charged was credited back at delivery.
Tesla certainly makes things confusing with the order fee and how it accounts for it.