How to enhance cctv footage

That’s not true in ca. In ca it is treated as uninsured motorist claim and doesn’t affect your rates. Also not covered unless you have uninsured motorist coverage. Ask me how I know :frowning:

Even if they know who it is the OP will still have to pay the deductible and then wait for his insurance to go after the person thathit him to get it back. That is unless he’s willing to wait 6 months to fix his car. I was hit by a person that ran a red light. It took 6 months to get my deductible refunded.

1 Like

You studied law on the internets?

4 Likes

Do you ever have anything useful to say? Get a life or a girlfriend

I know because I’ve been hit twice by hit and run drivers. The 2nd time I had uninsured motorist coverage.

I have neither a life nor a girlfriend. I am an incel who lives in his mom’s basement. But I study on the interwebs

3 Likes

This is my favorite October 2019 feud :grinning:.

Also the CCTV picture is of much better quality than I thought. Seems like someone with the right software could make the plate readable.

Regarding mods acting like children, “liking” posts is just as I inflammatory as writing them. @michael

1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix, to be more precise.

I tried to throw the picture into a neural image network to try to extract some values but it looks like the footage is too-low of a resolution to accurately determine the license plate.

1 Like

Oh noo… but thank you for trying! I really appreciate it but guess its coming out from my pocket… will be visiting the site once more to see any possible security camera that might have caught.

Just don’t want to spend any single penny on the things I’m not responsible on and seems like i have to pay 600 just for parking at a place where this idiot happen to be at

It will probably be impossible to enhance the still you took from the video. However, having the best quality original video file could be more helpful. Also, there are a few LEO forums or Photoshop forums that could be more helpful.

1 Like

I live in DTLA also so I’ll keep a look out for any 1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix!

If you have the time or inclination, I guess you could also take a walk around the site at the same time as the incident as it’s likely they travel through here regularly?

What’s the estimated trade in value? Two cans of beer or three? There must be exactly ten of those left on the roads in LA?

Since about 1980, non-personalized white CA plates have always started with a # followed by 3 letters then 3 #s. And non-personalized plates go with the car, not the owner.

• Black plates ended in 1969 with ZZZ999. Blue plates started in 1969 with 000AAA and in 1980 after 999ZZZ, started 1AAA000 (assuming these initial numbers and letters were actually used). In 1986, blue plates were retired but numbering continued (~2DDD000 by then). We are currently in the 8s (~8MMM000) with the white plates (no idea how sequencing works on the newer black plates)

So if the Pontiac has original plates from 1997-2003, we are looking at a white plate starting with about 3Yxx### if 1997, through about 4Zxx### if 2003.

Of course, if plates were changed after transfer of ownership (for various reasons) then above not so useful. But even then, if you do decode the first number and letter, you MAY be able to target the last owner’s DMV registration month and I’ll bet there aren’t many silver Grand Prix with those first two letters out there-you’d need a friend in DMV or Police for that.

And if this car has personalized plates fuggitaboutit. But then, you’ll know EXACTLY who the owner is!

Hope this helps

How is it 2019 and cct images STILL don’t show license plates?? I’d rather have a grainy image I can read than one that looks sort of good until you try to read the plates.

To the OP, in ca this is an uninsured motorist claim. The last couple times it happened to me the claim didn’t affect my rates but I had to pay the deductible (assuming you have uninsured motorist coverage which is an absolute must in ca with all the illegal drivers and suspended license drivers)

1 Like

If you have access to Amazon AWS via work, you can try their new image analyzation software called Rekognition.

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

Hey guys, wer getting little far from the OG subject but I wanted to keep you guys updated on my current status.

So the car was quoted via Yelp between 450-600

I decided to use the insurance thinking that the hit and run will be caught and still have chancr to get the money back

I went to one of geico express and got a visual quite of 700-800 but they said they need to see inside to determine if there is any unseen damage. Somewhat true but i really dont want to spend 500+

To me, its just an minor damage
Ive seen some shitty job based on 100-200 but wouldn’t this kind of job worth between 450-600? I say 500 is the right amount

1 Like

Businesses that are putting up the security cameras are probably not going to spend top dollar when they will have very little to zero return to their bottom lines. And until they require things like facial recognition like they do in China, businesses won’t drop the money on nice cameras. Hell, there’s a market for dummy cameras because they probably do just as well as a crime deterrent.

What’s the deductible on your insurance? The scenarios for you are:

1. Never find the guy, pay out of pocket.
  2. You pay the deductible, insurance finds the guy, he has no insurance. You’re still out your deductible.
  3. You pay the deductible, insurance finds the guy, he has insurance. You get your deductible back.

If your deductible is low enough, it might be better to get it fixed by a shop approved by your insurance.

2 Likes

The camera system isn’t bad. The resolution you need to make out a plate from that distance is pretty insane. If you really wanted to find the person, you could canvas the area. Find entry/exit points from that spot and look for other surveillance cameras nearby. It’s a lot of work though.

He could just give a local crackhead $20. Just pay after info is provided.