How much has your car insurance changed since you last checked? (lease/finance)

that’s a lowest limit that I was told- I just switched to them from Geico who also had the same limit restrictions

Progressive came in 45% less for same auto coverage vs geico that I’ve had for years and they upped my rates by almost 30%

There might be a one-off exception out there, but general industry standard is that you need 250/500k auto and 300k home liability limit to purchase an umbrella. Also some carriers have language in the umbrella contract that if you don’t have that underlying coverage, they won’t fill the gap.

Paying $3,912 for 6 months premium in nyc, for 2 cars, sprinter and odyssey through Geico, it comes out to $657 a month, isn’t that too high?

Yikes! I’m sure nyc is higher across the board but I pay $325/6 months now for a Pacifica hybrid and odyssey- full coverage ($500 deductibles) on both in central OH

Lucky, nyc sucks

I guess there’s trade offs - OH has been the cheapest state for me - TX was 3x higher than here

Dang… that’s high… accidents on record?
I have 2022 Leaf and 2023 Frontier $2k for whole year with 250/500 coverage in CT state.
One accident in last 5 year at the time of getting coverage. Will see what renewal will bring next September

What company

Hannover but got it through Bouliver insurance broker and it was bundled with home and umbrella.

Ouch. That is high, but without knowing your driving history, age, etc, that could be ‘normal’ for your type of coverage in NYC (No need to divulge any personal info here).

Curious about this. Any recent claims?

@Mark26 - You just got that Odyssey, correct? Have you shopped around for coverage? You might have luck working with an insurance broker? If you have AAA, check them out.

No accidents

Mark, if you have a clean record…that’s still pretty high even for NYC. Feel free to contact me directly if you’d like, I’m a licensed broker in CT/NY/NJ and have a bunch of NY markets i can shop you around with…can’t hurt to see what else is out there. I don’t charge a fee either

1 Like

My 6-month auto insurance premium is going up by 40%. No accidents, no claims.
Home is fine with 2.5% increase for 2023.

What’s the best place to now compare rates for insurance. I think I did get decent rates on mercury (both auto and home), but I don’t like this big jump.

Whew, Geico raised my auto insurance 20% on my recent renewal. Took a double hit due to the MY21 Bolt to MY23 swap in November and subsequent policy renewal in December. Unfortunately they’re still significantly cheaper than everyone else in SoCal. Bummer.

1 Like

It might not be a time saver, but I do it site by site at about the 4-5 month mark. I take a week and dedicate 10-15 minutes daily to see who can give the best rates (and hopefully service). The reason being is I do not trust companies where you can do it all at once. So I read the Terms of Service on a couple which was enough to avoid going through the process. I do not know where my information is going to end up.

I get some mail every 4-6 months from some of the ones I rate shop, but a quick contact asking for removal from their mailings (emails I do not mind) stops them.

That’s the exact reason I try to avoid 6 months’ terms. It always feels like an introductory rate that is then hit with obscene renewal.

I feel like that’s what Tesla is about to do to me. Locked in 6 months this past July for my 3 and Honda Pilot (~$430 for both cars, 2 drivers, 100/300/100 coverage). Renewal is up next month and I’ve read news Tesla filed to jacked up rates in MD 30%. Lol
But I guess I did save a nice chunk for this current 6 month term. I’ll have to shop around quotes soon, but what I’ve seen so far is nothing under $1k/6 months from anyone. No accidents or tickets or anything to jack up my premiums either.

$1k/6mos isn’t much different from what I’m paying $2k for 1 year for 2 cars and 1 accident about 4 years ago

Family member paying state farm $1200 for 6 months on a 2019 Camry SE

A few questions for you/your family:

1. Where are they located? Metropolitan or rural area?
  2. How long have they been driving?
  3. What type of coverage do they have?
  4. Has their rate increased or stayed the same over the past year?
  5. How is their driving record? Any recent claims?

There are a multitude of factors that affect one’s car insurance premiums. My suggestion is to shop around.

Orlando, Florida
Since the 90s they were driving
Full Coverage
Rate Increased over the year
Clean driving record
Statefarm