How does leasing works if you get it shipped from out of state

Hi All,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I am based out of Seattle WA and looking to lease Acura RDX A-spec with the advance package or Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4. My questions are

1. How does getting it shipped from out of state will work in terms of maintenance, servicing, etc.
  2. I just moved from Canada so it’ll be my first vehicle here, how does the registration, etc work. I do have a WA license.
  3. Are there any 12 or 24-month leases or have to default to 36?
  4. Are there any dealers who service this region and can help me out. I am only aware of LeaseCompanion thus far

Thanks

1 Like

Welcome / I apologize in advance for … America

Sales tax and registration are based on where you live, not where you purchase. incentives can either based on buyer’s address or dealership location.

Is the out of state dealership handling the reg? Are you? Third party service?

2 Likes

Haha thanks, @jeisensc . WA is pretty similar to Canada so not a big difference.

Regarding registration, I am not sure. That’s why I am hoping dealers can also respond to my post here. But my concern is if i take it to a local dealer for servicing they might complain that its not bought from their dealership.

Any dealer will be glad to service your car bought elsewhere

Just to be specific for him, they will service a car bought in the Usa under warranty, bringing a car from say Canada would change the rules a bit.

OP never said where he was getting the car from, so i am pointing out a loophole to his questions

And 24 and 36 leases exist, but wow a 12 month? Thats gotta hurt losing all the TTL in 1 year

Thanks @forbs Oh ok makes sense. Back home in Canada if I bought from one dealership and took it to another they would charge crazy or come up with an excuse not to service the car.

Well thats one thing the USA has going for it, dealers want your warranty work no matter where in the USA you bought the car, because they get paid by the OEM

1 Like

Oh and see if @Clutch can get you a car, he says he does Western region

Welcome to the United States, it is a beautiful country with friendly people. We love our neighbors from Canada. Highly recommend a trip out to Olympic National Park while you’re in Seattle.

Whatever dealer you purchase from will handle the DMV temporary registration for you. In some cases a dealer has a third party service complete the full registration for you, I’d ask if that’s the case. Worst case scenario you might need an extra payment/completion steps at your local DMV branch.

I’ve shipped cross-country to SoCal from the south, it was about $900. Well worth it considering I saved thousands more vs. buying from a local dealer.

Your broker or dealer will handle shipping for you, it’s as simple as paying and signing some papers.

As answered before, you can get your car serviced at any dealership. Doesn’t matter.

Neither of these sound like particularly good lease candidates.

As for a short term lease, your options are basically limited to:

18-month Nissan Frontier S lease.

Or.

36-month Jeep Wrangler 4XE lease and exit midterm if there’s a favorable equity situation at the time.

One more reason for Canadians to move to America, they can get there car service at any dealership in America. Only thing to watch out is the Registration. Some dealership don’t ship to you till they complete the DMV or so called Registration paper work first.
You Register the car where you reside not where you buy from. I lease my SUV from PA but Register in IL. Dealer told me he will not ship till he get the paperwork from IL DMV accepted. He gave me a temp PA license plate valid for 3 months till I get my real plate from IL. Due to Covid DMVs are behind in paperwork.

Enjoy WA beautiful state.

1 Like

Thanks @NATO , @max_g and @freshwater. Really appreciate the feedback.

I am basically looking for a reliable SUV that I can try out for 12-36 months. Acura is something I can picture myself driving for 3 years. But with GC or Jeep 4Xe I just don’t feel comfortable hearing about the reliability issues and that’s why I asked if there are shorter leases.

I am open to suggestions for SUV’s within 650-750ish range. Not sure how much is the auto insurance here but up north it gets crazy high.

Only if he apologizes for Trudeau. But yeah…Inslee is not much of an improvement.

You’ll only hear the ‘bad’ on fora, etc. not the happy drivers with no issues. Fret not, and enjoy a Jeep.

Auto insurance looks at your Age and prior history like tickets, accidents , and vehicle value to quote you a rate. Not sure they have access to your Canadian driving record. I know you used Km instead of miles not sure you drive on the left side or right side of the road :thinking:.

As an American, I couldn’t fathom asking a Canadian to apologize for Trudeau, even if he hasn’t been the best…lol

Donald Trump GIF

Anyway, back to actual point of thread. I wouldn’t worry too much about reliability if you’re leasing.

1 Like

Buy the Acura. Or a RAV4. Great value retention history even before COVID raised used car values.

1 Like

Look at Volvo XC40 or XC60 you might get those under $750 and also look for demo they have like 5k miles on them but cheaper then new ones.
Toyota Highlander , Kia sportage are not bad either.

Hahah I supported Trudeau initially but he’s a dumb a$$. Anyways. I have been looking at the clutch and leasecompanion excel sheet and gotta admit the Jeep 4xe numbers look too good. Might give it a shot.

4 Likes

Love my Sahara 4xE, and it is at home up there. Check out the breweries and seafood in Poulsbo when you get a chance.

1 Like

I certainly recommend going the broker route, especially if some of this is new to you and you’re not looking to put in a ton of time and effort.,