How does leasing out of state work?

For example:

Residence: TN
Dealership: TX (family also in TX)

Dealership is stating that I would have to register it in TX and pay Texas sales tax using family address and then re-register in TN and only pay the plate/registration.

They also seem unfamiliar with out of state leases so I wanted clarification on this.

Can I just register it for TN and pay TN sales tax and use my TN address and get it from the TX dealership?

TX and CA Dealers do not like leasers from out of state

Try another dealer

2 Likes

So far most from the DFW area have said they dont do out of state leases except for one who said they don’t but do if I register it in Texas (so basically no).

Similar situation. Need in TX but if needed can have the car register in NJ with spouse residence and save on prohibitive lease sales tax. I’m taking to few NJ dealers to see if they can transport after registering in NJ. They said yes and I’m waiting for a quote on transportation. Likely to be around $1k so that takes away some benefit.

But I’ll check again with a TX dealer if they can instead help register in NJ based on license and address proof from NJ.

Hi - it’s me

Hi lol. Wut.

1 Like

Hi me. It’s me too.

1 Like

Can we get mods to have make stickys for these? I feel like every other day someone posting same questions

Texas* dealer, doing out of state leases pretty much everywhere (not Hawaii, Alaska, or Montana).

2 Likes

You got any deals for moi? :open_mouth:

Sounds like a :clown_face:

Move on

Very nice guy but doesnt know about out of state leasing or isn’t familiar with them.

1 Like

Then he should have said that instead of making shit up.

Your call but I’d avoid dealers like that like the plague.

Rick And Morty Fake News GIF by Adult Swim

My experience so far is that lots of people don’t want to do out of state leases down south at least if you aren’t making them a ton of money

1 Like

Yeah so far it’s been a dud. Might have to go back to TN and check things out there again unless anyone has good leads or a broker that can help ship to TN

1 Like

If it’s a Kia/Hyundai dealer, then good luck. They probably barely know how a local lease is structured in TX lol