How do salesman afford to drive the cars they're selling?

Oh no I doubt he is, Idk if its dealer or coast dependent. My guy drives a beat up es350.

Ya for sure. Our policy for employees is $100 over invoice. But then we sell same cars for $1,000-2000 under to customers. :crazy_face:

1 Like

I found that to be ridiculous, you’d think that they’d hook you up a little extra but they do the opposite

1 Like

By ripping us off. :wink: Just kidding, I think.

Interesting question though!

1 Like

One of my guys gets to take home any off brand used car that the dealer has.

Wow! No good

1 Like

No that’s true, not people on this forum but in general. A mini deal (Which is what Hackr deals are) is 100-200 a car. Average salespeople sell 12-15 cars a month, do the math no one can survive off of that.

3 Likes

most people that work for a brand a long time, they drive their cars because they can control the deal and theyre familiar with the car.
like if i go large suv, ill go tahoe, performance car ill to corvette or zl1. EV ill go bolt. like its already there and most lineups have something youre looking for. i think all of us longer runners have all bought cars both new and used from our own store.

its dangerous. im on my third vehicle in 3 years. :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

I’m on my fourth in three years and I don’t even work for a dealer. I have a problem. :confused:

5 Likes

What bothers me the most is the sales people I’ve been running into lately. They are part-time, don’t even reference the dealership in their linkedin profile and pursue several other things like MLMs. They are not even car enthusiasts! Gone are the days of the folks that have been selling the same brand of car for the last 20 years. Now when you look them up they are most likely pushing an MLM and their social media does not even have one image of any car.

Why does it matter? Because they have no skin in the game anymore. Instead of relying on you to pay their mortgage you become their lottery ticket for an additional source of revenue. If they make the sale on you, fine. If not they have 6 or 7 other potential sources.

Aside from some of the sales people not being they knowledgeable not sure how it impacts you that they have other jobs. I think people should diversify their income streams. As you can see from others in this thread it is a hard job to be in which at times can pay little so people should diversify. And honestly I don’t recall care that much if the sales person isn’t an expert on the car. He isn’t selling me on the vehicle. I have done my research already and only come down to get the papers signed.

1 Like

It impacts me BIG TIME. Think about it: they set up 7 different revenue sources. They won’t negotiate much with you because it doesn’t matter to them because they don’t care about quotas. They serve as a conduit: indifferent to making the sale and they won’t be there 3 years from now – they may not even be in the car business altogether.

So instead of dealing with a salesperson that will collaborate with you to make the deal happen, you are stuck with a human kiosk that couldn’t care less about cars, their “job” or closing the sale.

If you want to get technical re the real impact: they could mislead you on options, confuse you on features when they contradict what you already know and screw up the financing paperwork in their favor.

All they do is provide the info the sales manager provides them. They really don’t have much negotiating power except for a select few that can desk their own deals.

Further, the store they work with may have adopted the “no negotiation, one-price-fits-all” model.

People are lied to all the time inside a dealership. At the end of the day, the salesman is powerless to negotiate on price (sales manager will set the rates/accept offers) and while I’m sure a knowledgeable salesman may do well and present a good experience for the customers… the vast majority of salesmen that I’ve seen who do well are not technical experts or “car people.” They are great “people-people” and can connect with the person, not the car.

The business of selling cars is not about cars, it’s about people.

4 Likes

My first BMW salesman drove an older M3.

My Second BMW saleswoman drove a 650i Gran Coupe. She ran the BMW store, though.

My Maserati dealer drove a new Range Rover.

The Ferrari dealer who showed me the functionality of the Maserati sold a LaFerrari to an executive at Google. He wouldn’t tell me what he drives.

Somewhere SOMEONE IS MAKING MONEY AND IT ISN’T ME

1 Like

Dealer employees getting great deals are a combination of multiple factors

1. Time of year (When lease support is ending)
  2. How much it was purchased from auction
  3. How much the GM likes you
  4. What dealership you work at

Yes there are unicorn employee deals, just like hackr’s find unicorn deals for themselves. If we could all drive M3’s for $500 trust me, we would. Would I recommend a job working 10-12 hours, 6 days a week, surrounded by people moaning and groaning every day and with ego’s the size of Madagascar to save $100 on a car payment? no.

9 Likes

You must also work with lawyers…:rofl:

3 Likes

“Bro I made more than a lawyer this month”

Me " How was last month?"

“It was slow for everyone”

:joy:

6 Likes

Anyone ever hear the expression “never judge a book by it’s cover” :smirk:

It’s all based on priorities and perspective. They may have an M3 and live in a 4x4 Hut.

Nowadays with social media being the way that it is, some salesman may view that “nice car” as a means of getting exposure and popularity through social media.

Even though they have an expensive car payment, that same car payment may be able to provide an extra commission or two per month based off their social media following.

Just another insight…

1 Like

That’s why I regret not becoming a plumber. I pray my infant daughter becomes a plumber.

2 Likes