How do I asses value on a 2021 XC90 T8 with 117 miles?

My first post here - let me know if this is not the right area to post.

I’ve been looking for a PHEV with a 3rd row and the Volvo XC90 seems to be one of the best options (open to other suggestions). Most of my search has been for a used 2021 model with 25k - 40k miles still covered under a couple years of CPO warranty. Those cars are listed for around $35k - $45k.

Today I found a 2021 XC90 T8 plug in hybrid with 117 mile and the car is priced at $59k. It has nearly every package and feature with an initial sticker price of $83,640. It has an in-service date of 2/26/2021 so it’s covered until Feb 2026. The dealerships says it was sitting as a display car somewhere and is virtually brand new.

KBB.com has it’s private party value at $52k and edmunds.com has it’s dealer retail at $58k. How does one figure out the fair value of this car? Any advice on how to negotiate them closer to $50k?

Thank you very much!

check to make sure it wasn’t a lemon/buyback

2 Likes

https://www.volvocarsathens.com/certified/Volvo/2021-Volvo-XC90+Recharge+Plug-In+Hybrid--3ee40bbcac18215ab47bcc9a10f4c99b.htm?utm_source=cargurus.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=cargurus_listings

The carfax looks weird. 2 owners already?

1 Like

Doesn’t the carfax say one owner?

it does sorry had the wrong vin run

1 Like

I’d want to see the service records - to see what’s been done to it in 3 years (eg original fluids?), and if it’s an early propulsion system failure → courtesy buyback without lemon/branded title. Lp

1 Like

The xc90 was only serviced once in 3 years…

You might get them to move a little but dont expect anywhere near 50k.

This is the lowest mile xc90 in the country. This isn’t a “deal” car. This is for a specific buyer who puts a premium (and wants to pay a premium) for LOW miles.

If you want a “deal” this probably isnt the one for you

Not sure how much value you’re assigning to Volvo CPO since it doesn’t cover much. Plus, while used car prices have come down from peak they are still inflated from historical levels and a reversion to mean will be painful.

You’re much better off buying brand new within your budget and a different brand if necessary.

Along with COVID-era parts substitutions and their related problems.

1 Like

The only Covid era thing for volvo was the deletion on some models of the power lift gate

It’s difficult to value, don’t go by the online sites because they will assign a heck of a premium on the low miles (as will dealership). More so, if you really want this car, I would ask questions about the condition of major items and more on the story they gave you about it sitting as a display car. This isn’t a rare or unique car that people buy and let it sit somewhere.

Lastly, don’t trust the Volvo CPO (or any other) so and so checkpoint especially on this car. Most dealerships don’t do full or detailed checks. I nailed my dealer for 2-3 months to fix things they had checked off but never did on the car.

Give me a 3 year old car with 10,000 miles before one with only 100.

1 Like

OP can get an unlimited Mile Warranty on his CPO, so does it matter?

Lots of stuff CPO doesn’t cover.

Thanks for all the good points to think about!