Hottest Hack Consolidation Threads

Haha I appreciate the linking :joy::joy: but to get myself some credit I’m not looking for help getting a deal. Just asking about delivery times.

Seriously.

If I wanted to read a bunch of threads about cars people are leasing, I’d join a car leasing forum.

3 Likes

2 Likes

There is. One and only one. Feel free to edit the title if you want.

1 Like

Ya, but nobody actually reads it.

1 Like

Well, I’m not sure I understand the problem statement.

I don’t want 99% of the cars that are discussed here.

There is no practical difference between three Bitchin’ Camaro threads, and one Tacoma + one Bolt + one XC31 T4 Flagellum thread.

1 Like

Totally fair

My feeling is there are certain cars that pop up throughout the year which attract more attn than others due to deal quality.

If there was a way to consolidate various threads / replies for those deals/cars, it would reduce clutter in other parts of the forum.

Example: there is the massive 1600+ post OG 4xe thread. Then, people see shared 4xe deals and create new threads asking, how to replicate, if they should order or go in stock, which dealers, which regions etc…. Which are already questions answered in the longer thread. I certainly dont expect the folks opening the new threads to read through all 1600 posts, but if there was a way to consolidate and streamline, it may be nice.

I can’t think of an elegant way to do this without creating more work for others and doing something like a wiki as michael noted.

I also understand that others may not see this as something that needs solving or cleaning

2 Likes

IMO there is no solution because there’s a binary here with no overlap

Type 1: Self-starter. Looks at any shared deal thread for the vehicle in question and knows enough to fill in their own calculator for the RV/MF in their zip. Finds a dealer to do the deal or maybe not based on how far they’re willing to travel.

Type 0: posts “how do I get one?” and does practically nothing else. No amount of streamlining or consolidation will change that.

Probably unpopular opinion but it would help the Type 1’s more if you closed down a viral thread like the first 4XE thread after, say, N posts instead of allowing the same questions and the same soup of correct, incorrect and 50-50 answers to be regurgitated again and again. Side benefit: less “clogging”.

3 Likes

Maybe make a “sticky” like how the homepage has it as “This Month’s Hack!” and close it out after the deal it dead so less back and fourth.

1 Like

Shut It Down 30 Rock GIF

Some of the chat bots have a pretty good approach to filtering out redundant and FAQ-type questions. They are irritating when they can’t progress you through a request, but they do pop up relevant suggestions when easy-to-spot “where can I get this deal” type questions are typed in. Maybe a bot could stop a repetitive questioner in their tracks before “allowing” their question to be posted in a thread.

this with a little bit less spice

2 Likes

This is such a quick and simple thing to do.

In fact, that’s how I’m unaware of the current size of the lengthy Jeep thread you mentioned. :slight_smile:

10 Jeep threads? Takes 10 seconds to mute them.

And not even 10 consecutive seconds.

1 Like

Tough nut to crack, and millions of dollars will be made by the one who does. Fora have been plagued by this since invention, it’s simply not designed to handle huge amounts of content in a single ‘thread’. As a long time forum admin and reddit mod, the workarounds most successful involve two strategies: ‘megathread’ and ‘community wiki’. This separates the bigger threads from members who chose NOT to follow…for example, I’ve never owned an Apple product in my life, so at r/tmobile I am not interested in any iPhoneXX rollout, I simply avoid the iPhone megathread. Within those megathreads, there is a natural devolution towards ‘read the thread!’ anytime someone posts a question, since it has likely been answered 45 pages back. Some forum software allows for placement of an editable post following OP, that can be edited by regular members, typically used as a FAQ of sorts (eg. https://slickdeals.net/f/15013669-2-pack-ryobi-one-18v-4-0-ah-battery-charger-kit-1x-select-free-ryobi-one-tool-99-free-s-h )

Barring this capability, an OP will often ‘reserve’ an area by answering his own OP, so that they themselves can manage the thread and highlight recurring themes/FAQ’s (eg. Development - [KERNEL] [OOS] Omega Kernel OOS11 [May 29, 2021] | XDA Developers Forums )

Still these strategies are only as effective as those managing the content, garbage in/garbage out. Done well, they become phenomenal repositories of info, so a good search capability is a must.

1 Like

It’s not the size of my thread that matters. It’s how its used.

3 Likes

Small threads always say that lol

2 Likes

I bet the 4XE thread will continue like the MY16 Hellcat…ie for years.

Even after the MSRP has changed, and the RV… and the MF, noobs will be like ‘you paid $350 + tax? I want that!’

@trism muting works great for isolated bad threads. Not so much for broader issues.

Like “hot hacks” don’t even clog up the forum as much as the current plethora of:

Should I sell my leased car?
How can I sell it?
Don’t I pay tax on it?
Who should I sell to?
But should I really sell it?

Submitted for consideration

3 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

Probably one of a few things we could moderate more:

• swaps-out (since the thread is about getting-in)
  • discussion that isn’t strict deal q&a

thoughts? I’m skimming the jeep threads from time to time, others who are spending more time in there?

2 Likes