Honda Odyssey Sport Swap Lease trade

Serious question, OP, do you not need the vehicle ? Or are you trying to get out of it because you think you made a bad deal?

OP has it listed in the Private Transfers section, but it does not look like HFS allows lease transfers.

1 Like

Ok. Iā€™m out of :popcorn: for now. I need a Costco size bucket here.

6 Likes

That part I know. But who cares if the lease was a good or bad deal. Why get rid of the minivan so soon? Take it as a lesson learned and just move on.

Or maybe circumstances changed and he really doesnā€™t need the van :man_shrugging:t2:

Maybe it finally sunk in after 140 posts of people telling him he got fleeced that he, indeed, got fleeced.

2 Likes

To my knowledge HFS does credit this back as most captives do.

1 Like

I wish there was any further advice I could give for the OP.

All we can do is have this serve as advice or a lesson for anyone considering a new car. Sometimes better to buyout your existing vehicle in this market.

Appreciate all the feedback and help, I would sell it since I will be loosing out on lots of money by keeping it

1 Like

Have you fully evaluated that path?

• How much will you lose by selling since the buyer wonā€™t pay what you paid - you will eat the difference.
  • What is the next car? How much is that going to cost you?

Play out that scenario here and see what people think BEFORE doing anything.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s the feedback or advice I can give you: the loss is already locked in. Whatever cap cost that was agreed to is what it is. If youā€™re already underwater on the van, thereā€™s magic bullet here. If youā€™re not underwater, whatever you put in (equity, down payment, drive offs) is a write off at this point.

Unless itā€™s truly an issue of you canā€™t afford the $699/mo. In they case you gotta do what you gotta do, but youā€™ll have to step down considerably to get a much lower payment with no drive offs. And you may also need to account for some cash out of pocket just to get out of the Odyssey at this point.

It looks like just to keep it thatā€™s what Iā€™m hearing overall

1 Like

Just light it on fire

Thisisnotlegaladvice.

6 Likes

I had one of those ā€œdeer avoidance testsā€ in real lifeā€¦ car was totaledā€¦ if there is a lack of snowy ramp.

Thisisnotlegaladvice

4 Likes

You do not have any other options.

In PM with OP I also brought up the taxes, and suggested they do ALL THE MATH before making any moves. IIRC NY taxes lease payment upfront (so all the tax on all the payments are front-loaded) AND taxes the buyout. I havenā€™t lived there in over 20 years so I might mis-remember one or the other, but thatā€™s not insignificant in this either.

Still true. We even had a discussion here on the forum about that about a year or so ago.

1 Like

Also in a PM to OP yesterday after I initially closed the thread, I pretty much told them they were stuck with the car. We are now at 150+ replies and counting.

I get it that OP wants out of the deal/car, but they were advised not to take this deal. I get it that they canā€™t go back in time, but OP would have been better off buying out their 2019 Odyssey and keeping it until the market cooled off.

Iā€™m out.

look man iā€™m not trying to dog pile you with this, but i still canā€™t understand what the hell you were doing here. you just walked in and tossed him the keys and said here its all yours? what was the thinking here?

iā€™m curious @Mark26 is there paperwork from this? maybe as a hail mary you could try to file a complaint with the state AG about the whole contract deal and say it shady/misleading/fraud/etcā€¦ in an attempt to unwind it?

1 Like

Until the past year and a half or so, thats what everyone did when their leases ended. There was no equity in 99% of lease returns, why would anyone think twice about returning it. If you arenā€™t familiar with the used car market, there wouldnā€™t be any reason to think this lease return was different now from previous returns.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything fraudulent here. Thereā€™s no requirement for a broker to tell a customer that he should buy out his lease instead of get a new car.
The dealer did nothing wrong other than charge over MSRP, which every dealer is doing, no matter how much you hate it. Well, that is besides for the whole contract botching.

2 Likes