Honda Odyssey Sport Swap Lease trade

:popcorn: canā€™t wait

Do you have any advice ?

Go sell the Odyssey ASAP and keep the money.

1 Like

Light the title on fire

4 Likes

I donā€™t see what legal recourse you have here. While heā€™s a sick for being threatening and not entirely accurate either, whatā€™s done is done.

Though you may want to assess any way in which he could screw you and make an agreement to ensure no bad action his part in order to surrender the title to him.

Heā€™s full of shit the guy heā€™s saying this

ā€œThis is what we would be getting lawyers for;
New York Penal Law sections 155.30(6) and 155.40(2).
You (your dad) would be accused of:
Larceny by Extortion.ā€

Is he able to do anything legally, thatā€™s my question?

If the title is in your name, then you now legally own the car. However, if someone else paid off the car, they probably have some sort of lien/ownership claim on it, and will come after you for title.

I wonder why the bank sent the title to you. Maybe the broker said you were buying the vehicle to get around Hondaā€™s ban on third party buyouts.

3 Likes

My name is on title

Let me make sure I understand the sequence correctly

You returned your lease. Got charged mileage fee (scummy of broker)

He bought the odyssey (legally)

He sold the minivan

He made money off the odyssey

You inadvertently got the title in the mail

Now, you want some sort of money to give him his title?

4 Likes

Treat them reciprocally, which is to say ā€œif you are threatening legal action you need to take it up with my attorneyā€. If you threaten to sue an oem or dealer, they will do the same.

I followed this closely and I could use a recap of where this actually stands with trade/dispo (US Bank) and nee lease with HMF (iirc)? Otherwise Iā€™ll reread when I have more time.

A lien on what? The car thatā€™s no longer in your possession? An insurance lapse on what? The car youā€™re not driving anymore? Does he even know you have the title? Iā€™d play dumb about it and see if maybe there was some sort of incentive he could offer to jog your memory or go through a big pile of junk mailā€¦

Are you seriously asking internet strangers what to do with a title of a car that no longer belongs to you?

If I were in your shoes, I would move on from that dealer and start off 2023 fresh, without any of that baggage.

1 Like

I thought we were all friendsā€¦ā€¦

OP
giphy
Pc: @IAC

1 Like

Canā€™t you see? The ball is in his court now!

This is hilarious lol

1 Like

I am no lawyer, so take this with a grain of salt.

I hope OP understands that anything they write on a public forum can be read by anyone. They might want to be careful about what they post and the type of advise they are seeking from strangers (see below what I mean).

:point_up: :point_up:

2 Likes

You do know you signed papers selling them the car, right? Be an adult and give over the title. Or be a dick and get sued.

4 Likes