Honda Launches Used Vehicle Leasing Program

Used vehicle leasing has been discussed a few times, but I don’t recall seeing this from a manufacturer up until now. It will be interesting to see the RV and MF compared to new Hondas. Will they set the RV as % of new MSRP (but 4-6 years old), adjusted for expected mileage?

1 Like

That looks interesting. I assume that there’s no negotiation and you just pay whatever they ask.
I’m not sure how the RV and MF would even work if you can do it as a month to month lease and get out at any time.

Based on what others have mentioned about this topic, I cant see used car leasing programs making sense for the manufacturer unless the rent charges are jacked up. Sure, monthly depreciation charge is lower, but maintenance becomes a costly issue. Perhaps the goal is start with relatively lower base payments (as compared to leasing New) and then really push higher-margin maintenance packages as assurances to the customer that they “wont have to worry” about maintenance issues.

Otherwise I’m not sure how they will make monthly payments attractive relative to financing here…

I think every car company should lease out used vehicles, I would look into it. A 3 year car that can go 6 figure mileage with 28,000 miles is still a car that can do.you well. Im sure it would come with an extended warranty so I don’t see any issues with such an idea.

I’ve also argued it makes sense as as a compliment to manufacturer CPO program. It will help strengthen the CPO program. Even with higher MF, less depreciation should make it cheaper to consumers.

Of course dealers should love it because there’s much less transparency with used car price, especially to the average consumer on a lease.

If I were to guess , they will make it a tad cheaper than brand new and push it with good marketing. I bet many people will go for three year old 30k miles ( nicely detailed :slight_smile: Accord for 15% less than the brand new equivalent.

1 Like

Lol these guys can’t be real, these cars have 30-40k miles

Can’t decide what’s worse, no term or 2-3 years term lol

Like I said :point_up_2:t2:

Oh yeah, really bad:

They could have made it decent, guess they went the other route

I don’t see how an attractive CPO leasing program benefits an OEM much.

Their goal is to keep their factories running profitably, not to help dealers move used cars faster.

I think what is being missed is the fact that this program is not designed by honda for the LH crowd :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
But on a serious note, i think Honda is gearing this towards the crowd which does not have great credit. Its like the subscription programs that Volvo and other brands have offered with the difference that these are used cars and not new, which means Honda’s risk is a lot lower. If that’s the case it may not be a bad idea. Think of it as Honda’s strike towards the Mom n Pop used car dealerships and even chains like carmax, drivetime, carvana etc. Some of these places do force customers to pay for maintenance, extended warranty and even insurance within their payments (thats how people pay $31k for $12k Elantra). They are experimenting on a model and who knows, if it works out they might get something out of it and build another new market on their end.

Lets ask an expert to chime in. @RVguy, what would be your opinion on this?

1 Like

This isn’t Honda running anything. They are simply plugging their dealer’s inventories and using Fair’s platform/analytics. Their model has changed a lot since the first launch and it’s not going to produce anything that will look attractive to this community.

5 Likes

Toyota does CPO lease but the dealer said it wasn’t worth it. I’d still like to see the numbers.

Subverted terms and incentives that aren’t available on used will most certainly sway a new lease over used. Maintenance costs will be higher as well on a used, along with the likely loss of a true B2B warranty. Dealer is almost assuredly correct. Used leases work for some, but not those here looking to suck the last 3 bucks a month out of a program

1 Like