Home Improvements

I wanted to discuss home improvements and get some advice on a few things I would like to update around the house.

These are the current Federal Tax Credits available at the moment:

You can save up to $2,000 on costs of upgrading to heat pump technology (Air source, Water Heaters, Boilers, etc.) and save up to $1,200 on energy efficiency home improvements (Gas Water Heaters, Windows, Doors, Insulation, Electric Panel Upgrade, etc.)

Most of these are up to 30% of the cost of the project or the product.

Search for more rebates here:

https://www.energystar.gov/productfinder/product/ev-incentives/

For low-to-moderate income (LMI) households:

1 Like

I am looking to replace my water heater. Thinking about choosing between a gas water heater or an electric heat pump.

Upfront Cost:
Electric Heat Pump: Net cost $200-$300 after federal and local rebates.
Gas Water Heater: Net cost around $500 after federal and local rebates.
Assuming installation cost is the same.

Operational Cost:
My limited research based on SDGE rates (local)

• Standard Gas Water Tank: $0.0107 per gallon
  • Standard Gas Tankless Heater: $0.0080 per gallon
  • Standard Electric Water Tank: $0.0614 per gallon
  • Standard Electric Tankless Heater: $0.0564 per gallon
  • Heat Pump: $0.0221 per gallon

Alternative calculation:
Standard Gas Water Tank: $0.48 cents of gas to heat up a full tank
Heat Pump depends on the time of the day:

• Super off-peak cost = $0.66
  • Off-peak cost = $0.69
  • On-peak cost = $0.80

Given that it is cheaper to buy and cheaper to currently operate Gas water heater. Wouldn’t it be more prudent to install a Gas water heater? Any reason why people are moving to heat pump water heaters? I have no Solar.

Get tankless water heater. The saving alone will pay off the cost. Unlike tank water heater, tankless only heats up water when you actually use it.

1 Like

Gas or Electric?

Mine is gas. Our gas bill on summer is $20. 4 person household and my kids take 20 minutes shower. The only downside, depending how far your water heater to your bathroom, it will take awhile to get the hot water. You can avoid this by 1. install a recirculating system 2. put a bucket under your shower faucet and use the cold water for something else.

1 Like

Mine was $16 last month. :joy:
2 people household. 40 Gallon tank. I shower at the gym often.

1 Like

We got a tankless gas water heater, been super happy with it so far. Especially with the insane Edison electricity rates.

Like it was mentioned, the one downside is how long it takes the hot water to get to you that first time you turn it on if your shower/sink is far away from the source.

It also saves a bunch of space in your garage which is super nice.

We have a large closet, that only has a gas water heater with tank. If we install a tankless heater there, can we use the remaining closet for storage or is that considered dangerous?

Should be fine as long as the tankless has access to outdoor vent. You also need to install service valve kit & this kind of maintenance kit (you can get it cheaper at lowes - basically a bucket, 2 hose & waterpump + descaler solution) to clear up the lime buildup once a year. Very easy.

2 Likes

Should be fine as long as it’s not obstructed. I don’t know your pipe situation but you could try to move the heater to outside the closet and just have the full closet space to put stuff in. Again, if it’s a pain, probably not worth it.

1 Like

One thing to measure is the inlet water temperature when choosing a tankless solution. I know this can be an issue in the NE or with well water. The colder the water enters the house the more the heater has to work and as a result may lower the GPM output or even max output temp.

1 Like

This looks like my Aquarium cleaning kit with the sump pump and all.

That is totally doable and a great idea. Thanks. I can just put it outside in the laundry room.

I will ask around about this but I doubt that would be an issue in San Diego.

Not a problem for me in Philly even during winter time.