Hertz to pay $168M to customers

When I first read about this, I could not believe a corporation, such as Hertz, would falsely accuse innocent customers of stealing their property.

“In total, the settlement will cover 364 people falsely accused of car theft. In a statement, the company said the number represents “more than 95%” of such claims.”

What about the remaining 5% of claims? Should we expect another settlement in the future?

1 Like

Man, when I first heard about this story, it made my blood boil and made want to swear off Hertz. The kind of stuff they pulled ruins lives, not to mention the use of taxpayer money to use public servants to carry out their dirty work. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

and yet, that $164mil penalty, is a paltry .022% of their 7.3 billion in revenues in the fiscal year 2021. as always, crime pays if you’re a billion dollar corporation.

3 Likes

Revenue in these kind of things is pointless.

Shows they had a $2.1B profit ebidta in 2020 so $164M fine is almost 8% of that. Not that insignificant. Though I agree it should be higher. Comes out to like $500k per person before lawyer fees and all that stuff.

“Several customers reported in lawsuits that they lost employment opportunities over pending felony charges. Others said they were arrested at gunpoint.”

This is sickening. Not sure if any amount of money will help, but I am glad Hertz was held accountable.

I think they should have started arresting Hertz execs - ridiculous how long this went on for (and is still happening?)

“Many of the Hertz cases involved customers who had called to extend their rental agreement, but the extensions were not properly reflected in Hertz’s computer systems.”

If this was a known issue, who was responsible in maintaining these systems? Did they raise the alarm to their supervisor/manager? If yes, what did they do in response? Can Hertz assure their future customers that this would never happen?

I really hope more info is uncovered.

1 Like

Think of the hungry attorneys waiting on their payout!

Once taxes get done with it each of the 364 should clear 180-200 large for their trouble.

They will try to sweep it under the rug since “we resolved claima and will try to put this issue behind us”
blah, blah blah of corporate PR speak and keep on doing the same thing.

I am yet to see any news coverage about this. This story came up on my mobile news feed.

1 Like
3 Likes

There was no mention in the article that they fixed the issue and only “working on fixing the glitch”

I’m curious if future claims still allowed

3,400 cases a year :grimacing:

1 Like

Mannn-I wish they arrest me here in Honolulu :joy: FREE vacation and a payout :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
You get a HERTZ VETTE, and You get a HERTZ VETTE…eeeeverybody gets a HERTZ VETTE :red_car:

P.S. if I don’t respond to any posts, everyone knows where to find me :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

It’s always sunny at Halawa Correctional Facility

5 Likes

Seeing as it’s on the leeward side of Oahu, this is correct.

1 Like

So, I rented the Tesla M3 in Honolulu Dec 6-7th and it turned out to be a Performance model with only 1500 miles for $78 for the day.
Today I get an e-mail from HERTZ saying that there is damage to the vehicle, rear right wheel damage and a link to submit back to them accident/damage info and when it happened lol

I responded back with a video file stating that the damage was there when I rented the car-let’s see what happens. Video shows the damage and Hertz stall number with a Date stamp for the file, I think one of their employees might have taken the car home and damaged the wheel