Help with unsafe car I leased

Great to hear. How long did that take? OP let us know how it goes.

Someone mentioned social media and I can second that advice. I had a shit time trying to get my LG fridge repaired. But everytime I met resistance from customer service, I would tweet at LG on Twitter and “miraculously” I would shortly receive a response that there would be a tech arriving the next day instead of having to wait 4 days for a callback with an update. When you air a companies dirty laundry on social media, they tend to move alot quicker and care more.

1 Like

Contact JeepCares and open a case with them. They have access to all of your past ROs and will contact dealer / schedule / get you loaner car and push the dealer to fix the car right. If dealer isn’t able to fix it they will offer other means of resolution.

Check you local laws but NJ lemon law is 3 Fix attempts or over month at the dealer for safety concerning problems. Then you have to send Certified letter to FCA giving them last chance to fix your problem before you pursue Lemon Law. There are 2 addresses where you send it depending where you purchased/leased it, its is not the headquarters at auburn hills.

DO NOT get a lawyer because FCA will not deal with you after that and the lawyer will drag the case. This should be your last card if FCA refuses to help and IF your car qualifies as a lemon.

National Center for Dispute Settlement is also another option to explore.

1 Like

This was not the case for my parents or my sister in law, who both did buy backs through fca. They worked with an attorney and things were very smooth and quick.

1 Like
  1. Don’t lease a death trap. My Uncle’s 2018 caught fire last month. They kill owners turned off in park. No more Jeeps!
  1. 100% get all your ROs unstapled, sorted, and scanned. Find a good :lemon: lawyer in your state to review.
  1. No sense in doing both at the same time: if you are represented by counsel (:lemon: lawyer takes case) then FCA can’t work with you directly. Don’t tell them your case is being reviewed by a lawyer. Don’t threaten them with getting a lawyer.

Do you want this bundle of kindling repaired or replaced? If so work with FCA first.

I would go to :lemon: lawyer first, if you don’t have a case you can start working with FCA while you continue documenting.

Lawyers cost money. Lots of money. If it were me, I’d try contacting fca first. Most consumer protection laws are pretty straight forward and set up specifically to avoid necessitating an attorney and their associated costs

Lemon law lawyers generally don’t cost you a dime. They recoup their fees from the manufacturer independently.

6 Likes

Believe it or not, but NY consumer protection laws are pretty toothless. Yes there is a Consumer Protection Bureau, staffed by 10 people who are tasked to solve every little issue in the State, and you can complain to AG, who generally takes cases that make explosive headlines, but good luck convincing a dealer to buy back your defective vehicle.

What? There’s no harm in writing to FCA while consulting with a lemon law attorney.

I did the parallel path with the last Ford and wasted a lot of time dealing with Ford like they were going to address, when the minute the lawyer took my case they couldn’t talk to me anymore and closed the file - had no impact on whether I got a check (I did), but I wasted hours and hours for nothing.

Different from my GTI where I had to deal with VW nonsense to build the case. And only once I hit a dead end did I involve the Lemon Lawyer.

You do you, but both of those take time and that is my most prescious resource. I’ve had the most success when I focus on one at a time.

At a previous dealer I worked at, we were told that the second someone mentions “lawyer” to stop the conversation and say I can’t speak with them anymore and if they need any help to contact our dealer’s lawyer. Even if it is an idle threat, communication stops.

1 Like

Check if Jeep participates in the BBB Auto Line Arbitration.
You can see if they do through your warranty booklet.
Going through the BBB Auto Line is 100% free and less painful than meeting them in court for the lemon law which requires an attorney.

Couple of years ago, Kia bought back my car through this BBB Auto Line Arbitration program.
They even paid back my interest costs, registration fees, taxes minus the mileage deduction.

Your new purchased or leased car has to be less than 2 years old and less than 24K miles driven when the first problem occurred and they should have (or shouldn’t have) fixed the same problem after 3 tries.

Going with a lemon law attorney doesn’t mean you end up in court. They’re going to try to settle everything before getting to that point, just like if you go through arbitration. The difference being that a professional is doing the negotiations on your behalf for free vs you taking your time and energy to go in less prepared.

1 Like

I’m glad that worked for you, but I found out the hard way (from my lawyer after an unsuccessful BBB dispute): where does the BBB’s revenue come from? The companies you are fighting with. They’re a trade group.

In car parlance, don’t think Consumer Reports, think NADA.

None of my lemon law disputes made it to court, and I never had to even meet my lawyer in person. We did everything by phone and email, and it was done.

1 Like

As I’ve mentioned above: Arbitration for FCA is NCDS

https://www.ncdsusa.org/dispute-resolution-services/

From what I can recall, the manufacturer has to abide by their verdict but you do not. If you don’t agree you may pursue other options.

That’s the same as thinking a buyer’s real estate agent doesn’t cost you a dime because the “seller pays.” cute.

Having had close family (and thus seen all the numbers involved) lemon vehicles both with and without an attorney involved, the financial compensation was calculated using the exact same formula. Amount of the buy back was equal to all fees/costs associated with the purchase * (120000 minus the mileage when the issue was first attempted to be corrected)/120000. In the cases where an attorney was involved, they got paid separately for their time, from the manufacturer. In the cases where an attorney wasn’t involved, it just took longer. All those consumer protections you were touting… they’re the same ones that decree what the formula for reimbursement is, with or without a lawyer.

If you’re going to be a dick about things, at least make sure you’re correct.

1 Like

Not sure who thinks that, because both buyer and seller have closing costs, which includes attorney fees.

How many lemons have you bought? I find it slightly hard to believe somebody has had multiple experiences with something that is by all accounts a very rare occurrence. Anyway…
So the manufacturer paid the lawyer. Got it. Where did the manufacturer get the money? They only get money from customers (ie, you and me). So it makes cars cost more and we’re the ones who pay for it. It’s not coming out of Mary Barra’s pocket that’s for sure :wink:

I change my oil, do my own brakes, and yes buy/sell property by owner because I like keeping transactions simple and minimizing overhead costs like lawyers.

1 Like

Now tell us who pays for tariffs.

1 Like