Help with unsafe car I leased

Quite a reach. Every house has buyers and seller agent commissions. What % of new cars are lemons? Not 100%

I’ve leased 3 lemons (out of 7 leases or 8 new cars), two were successful lemon law claims.

Uhm they have attorneys on staff. They all have corporate counsel, and outside counsel. All of them, all the time.

Did I miss where someone suggested ambulance-chasing lemon law cases? No lemon lawyer is taking your case on contingency if they don’t have a reasonable confidence it will prevail in some way.

LOL. The consumer. The consumer. The consumer. Always the consumer.

Me personally? 0

How many claims have I had first had knowledge of? Several…

My brother lemoned his mv agusta motorcycle
My wife lemoned her Lincoln mkc
My parents lemoned their Chrysler Pacifica
My sister in law lemoned her Jeep Cherokee
My wife’s cousin lemoned her ford explorer

4 of the 5 were with the same attorney who got things done fast with no direct cost to anyone. Yes, his fee was amortized out to be $.00001 of the next new car, but we all know that’s not what you meant when you made your real estate comparison.

2 Likes

Surfer is just a troll. I have him on ignore

3 Likes

Now you tell us…:grinning:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

Maybe you should become a trusted hakr then?

While not impossible, you should definitely buy a lotto ticket. Most estimates I’ve seen say 1% of new cars are lemons although that’s based on older cars that had more issues. The chances of 1% occurring 3 times out of 8 are somewhere in the lotto realm. (you can probably calculate it). I’ve never known anybody who had a lemon, ever. It’s fortunately a pretty rare event (except for you and op.

This link has some helpful info for people who need lemon help.

I’m no expert. Just a guy who likes cars and discussing cars with fellow enthusiasts. Some of the trusted hackers are really helpful and some of the brokers are insanely helpful. I don’t pretend to know what’s a good deal on a telluride :wink:

The sources (right or wrong) are guessing because you have mostly confidential settlements vs sustained cases you could lookup in Westlaw/LN. It also depends on what you’re calling a lemon, for this I’ll assume “not collateral exchanges”, but both buybacks and partial settlements for defects in workmanship (includes not just the manufacturer, but liability from defects in third party parts).

You should definitely revisit the definition of luck and read a book on it. This isn’t that (P=1).

The probability is the same (1/100) for all occurrences.

1 Like

I have purchased a lemon, contacted a lemon law attorney, received a settlement, and didn’t have to pay the attorney anything out of pocket. This was obviously his point and was correct. Your point about it “raising the cost of vehicles sold” is irrelevant to the discussion.

2 Likes

I actually would go further and say that the settlement amount is the same regardless of if you used an attorney and that is why the attorney didn’t cost anything.

Fca has an arbitration program, it’s free to file. Do some homework instead of having someone do it for you. I lost one years ago and I won one last year. No attorneys needed, just facts and records. I beat their staff attorney too.

1 Like

Why bother? When going after potentially tens of thousands of dollars, why would you choose to attack it yourself with no experience when you can have a professional do it for no cost to you? I’m all for doing things yourself when there’s something to gain but this seems like a lot of risk for absolutely 0 reward.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree with you, especially if you have a good case. I do know some companies have arbitration which you have to go through before formal lemon law procedure. You can get an attorney after arbitration fails.

The OP can find it easily on the dmv website or read the owners manual. Every owners manual has something regarding lemon law!

How is it irrelevant? You probably could’ve gotten the same result without using an attorney.

99 percent of the people posting here don’t bother reading the manual or their state’s website on lemon laws. They just say “hire a lawyer it’s FREE!”

Yes, assuming you didn’t screw something up, you’d get the same results. The difference being that a trained professional would handle all of it vs you navigating the process completely blind. All for the low, low cost of $0.

If there was an opportunity to pocket the attorney’s fees yourself or significantly speed up the process or something, I could get behind the argument of going it alone, but as of now the best argument that you’re offering is that it’s more righteous to not inflate the cost of new cars by amortizing your legal fees. I’m not buying the argument.

2 Likes

I never said it’s more righteous. Litigation sucks. When you involve lawyers people get upset and dig in. Depending on the size of your town you might look like a jerk to friends of the dealer. There are plenty of costs that don’t involve a checkbook. There is definitely a time and a place for calling in the lawyers but most disputes can be worked out with much less stress. I’ve never had a lemon car though

Most states have very cut and dry lemon law requirements. Lawyer collects the info, writes a letter to the manufacturer, provides all the evidence, and if the claim is legit, it is generally settled without much fanfair. The dealer isn’t involved. There is no stress.

If the manufacturer doesn’t believe the claim is legit, then it actually goes to trial, in which case you really better hope you have an attorney.

2 Likes

My last reply:

• most of these don’t end up in court
  • the dispute is between the MANUFACTURER (not dealer) and the buyer/lessor. The MANUFACTURER is dealing with MANY OTHER lemon claims at once, you are but one case file
  • like so many things online, you have strong opinions about something you have no first-hand experience with

We heard you: update us next on your opinions of lemon lawyers when you get your first lemon. Until then, it’s tempest in a tea pot.

1 Like

Read your contract and manual, most car companies have arbitration. If you don’t like the result of arbitration, go ahead and file lemon law suit. I did it earlier this year and won :smile:

1 Like