Help with 2020 Nissan Leaf End of Lease option

Hi Guys,

I have a 2020 Leaf SV (Tech + Weather pkg).

My lease was $130/month for 24 months. It will end on 12/31/2022.

I’m trying to figure out what would be the best move since it is approaching the end.

I don’t think I can find anything similar to this, so I’m thinking about buying it out, but the range is too short and I don’t want to buy Tesla.

Considering Hybrid as well for the next car, is there any hybrid SUV that could lease very well? or is it better to finance instead of leasing since the market is still bad…?

Extend for 6 months if you can

3 Likes

If you’re going to buy the lease out (with the intention of keeping the car), I would recommend doing that now. Extending the lease is not going to benefit you in the long run.

2 Likes

If he intends to buy the car, which OP implied he wants something more range (the hybrid statement)

It’s $130 an extension will buy enough time for the prices on new cars to drop more and save him money because there is no way OP is getting a payment less than $400 right now.

1 Like

Just need to remember or check if an extended lease payment would keep reducing residual or not.
On my Infinity - they did extend by 3 months, but none of that was applied to reduce residual.
Since it’s the same Nissan Finance - may keep that in mind.

2 Likes

As far as I remember - Nissan tries to force you to sell/buy via their dealership network unless you can find a group that has Nissan in their stable.

But why Tesla? This is not a generic question - I’ve got two 2022 Leafs in Match this year and so far enjoying them, especially at the price paid for the lease. So why go Tesla after the lease end? Is that the cheapest option for EV these days or is there something else at play?

2 Likes

Would you be able to share your leaf deal?

I like leaf as long as I can keep leasing it for 130. But it goes over 400 or 500, then its different story.

Thanks for the comment!

Might need to look into that. THanks!

I was actually curious about that. I probably need to check with Nissan about this.

They do, but you have to call

My deal is from March 2022, the last month of $130 Leafs. I posted about it in shared deals sections at the time but it doesn’t matter now. It’s from times long gone on Leafs:)

Once the aryia comes out, the leaf might have incentives again

Doubtful. They’re more than likely going to keep LEAF production low. Plus Ariya is so delayed it’s going to have a year or two to go through its waitlist.

Let’s also not forgot the Ariya starts about 50% higher.

1 Like

I doubt it due to battery supply. It may go like the i3, and become even more ‘valuable’ as supply diminishes.

Since it has a 179 mile range, it might be as valuable as a Mazda MX30.
Hehe

Well in Mazda’s Defense it is a compliance car, like the mini.

1 Like

In same boat, dealership offered me $5k net to give the car to them. Ended up paying off and sold to carvana, time to get title was 6 weeks so consider what happens if used car prices continue to fall for the next month. Nissan also plays games with fees to buy out lease, very shady people.

What do you get from Carvana after taxes and stuff.

Honestly this statement covers about 5 different Brands, and not just Nissan. Ally and USBank for instance are worse.

what’s wrong with that range? Good enough to me

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.