Help w/ Tacoma TRD Off-Road Double Cab Lease

Okay, it seems to me that I’m getting some fishy numbers from a dealer in northern Utah.

Toyota financial is currently offering the lease pictured below:
Tacoma TRD Off-Road Double Cab

• MSRP: $38,423
  • $2999 due at signing (2050 DP, 299 1st month, and 650 acquisition)
  • $299 mo. payment.

I’d like to use this as the basis for negotiating the lease to more favorable terms.
My goal: 0 down payment, but pay 1st month, doc., title and acquisition (if necessary). I’d like my payment to be under $350 per month including tax.

The issue: the dealer I’m working w/ is quoting me what seems like crazy payments that aren’t in line with the promo from Toyota even though I live in a qualifying state and am negotiating on what appears to me as a qualifying vehicle.

Case in point: Tacoma TRD Off-Road Double Cab w/ MSRP of $36,703 and Net Sale Price of $35,203.
Salesman just quoted me the following numbers:

• no money down: $475 per month
  • $2500 down: $400 per month
  • $4000 down: $350 per month

Am I crazy in thinking this is WAY TOO HIGH? How is it that a vehicle with a lower selling price isn’t matching the lease deal offered through Toyota Financial?

I brought this up to the salesman and he said the following:
“The pricing you see online as far as discounts is exactly what we are basing numbers off of. I do not make the prices, nor do I dictate what deals are accepted or declined. I simply relay information from you to the desk and back. I apologize that you feel that way and we would be more than willing to honor any offer, as we are a Toyota dealership and go by their rules, incentives, and rebates.”

This appears to be total BS in my mind as I’ve seen dealers use the “special pricing” to sell higher equipped cars with higher MSRPs, and then discount the price of the car by $5-6k to get it inline with the advertised deal, with lower up front costs. This was in another state, CA not UT, but still I don’t see why the principle doesn’t apply.

Salesman claims they are using the “special incentive” money factor of .00211 and a residual of $27,527.

So what’s the deal? Am I way off, or is the dealer trying to pull one over on me?

Thanks for the help!

You can ask for MF and RV for this model and zip at https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/57951/toyota/tacoma/2020-toyota-tacoma-lease-deals-and-prices/p23.

1 Like

That’s way to high! Part of what your running into is a lack of inventory causing less of a discount to MSRP.

Check out this deal that @UsedToSellPORSCHE was able to get in December. It was a USBAnk deal however the money factor is over 35% less than what your looking at.
Maybe reach out to him and see if he can point you in the right direction in UT.

Ignore any offers on a website- they are worthless.

I worked at a BMW dealer once that advertised a $55k BMW 3 series for $0 out of pocket, $199 a month. A 21 year old girl had a sweet car for 36 months. I wouldn’t write off anything until you read the small print.

With 9 msds, $500 and first upfront I can have you in that 24/10 for approx $300 tax tags inc. you’ll need to ship or pickup in philly. $39-40k msrp. 36 months might be better since you have to ship it though

With 9 msds, $500 and first upfront I can have you in that 24/10 for approx $300 tax tags inc.

I’m going to take you up on this. Will send a text later. I’m also in Utah, but plan to pick up in person.

1 Like

Sounds good text me.

Jim
215-359-6836

1 Like

I’ve actually had both Honda and Subaru honor advertised leased offers through the manufacturer. In the case of my current Subaru Outback, I ended up with a pretty good deal where the dealership discounted the MSRP by over $5k to match the advertised lease deal.

I may take you up on this in a couple months. For now, I have my current lease till end of August and may extend it a few months to try and wait till the end of the year for a better deal locally. Thanks tho!