Help me vet my lease deal on a 2016 Jetta 1.4t SE!

Are you still looking at an automatic? Lowest MSRP on the SE is $20095 + $820 destination = $20915

The stock number listed in the ad is for a manual, but since you are in CA, it might be worth it to reach out to get a quote on an automatic. $4700 dealer discount + $1000 MYE bonus is crazy!

If they did $4700 off an SE automatic, the lease would look like this:
MSRP $21235 (lowest listed from their inventory)
Sale price $16535
minus Lease Cash $1000
plus Acq. fee $625
36mo, 10k miles, 52% res, .00005 mf
$144/mo + tax, title/reg, doc fee

http://media-dmg.assets-cdk.com/teams/repository/export/v/2/577/70e5094ca100585610050568b5709/57770e5094ca100585610050568b5709.jpg

Even if you don’t plan on traveling that far to get a deal, you can use it as a bargaining chip by telling local dealers that you will do it if they can’t match.

@jmac63 how much would that be on a 24 month lease?
I assumed they advertised 24 months because it was a better deal

Put all the info above into the lease calculator but change 36 months to 24 and change the residual from 52% to 59%

This is very interesting. Literally every bid I’ve gotten says the MSRP is 21,315.00???

Can I take that ad and just show it to the dealers and say, hey what the fuck is with your MSRP? That should be constant across the entire US for VW right?

No. There are options that can make it go up. They will be listed on the window sticker.

But you had said 20315, not 21315.

20315 is too low and is either missing the destination charge or is for the manual.

21315 is quite possible depending on the options and accessories.

So lowest sale price I’m getting is $17,472 - applying the MYE rebate would be 16472. The monthly for that deal is $182.56+tax. How are you getting to such a low number?

I literally broke down line by line each figure that I used and where it came from. Here is what it looks like in the lease calculator (zero for doc fee, tags, tax since I don’t know what those are in your area):

Even the slightest differences in MSRP and sales price can drastically affect the monthly payment. I don’t know what the MSRP is on the vehicle with that 17472 sale price, so I can’t replicate your monthly payment in the lease calculator to see the difference.

The MSRP is 21315, for sure. The selling prices I’ve gotten have never been in the 16k’s, so even with the 1000 MYE, I haven’t been able to see a monthly under $175+tax. How did you/would you get to a selling price that low?

It depends on competition between dealers where you live.

I’m in the Midwest and I showed them the California ad above for the Jetta GLI SE, helped a lot with price, ended up getting $280/month just under $30k MRSP. They couldn’t match the California ad, but they did better than any of the other dealers in my area.

I’m happy with my new lease and since they they did the deal presumably they were happy with it too.

I would start by sending an email to VW Hayward and ask them if they could do $144/mo + tax with 1st payment, doc fee, and registration fees due at signing on a Jetta SE automatic. If they say yes, you then need to ask local dealers if they can match it. Tell them you have no problem driving up to Hayward to do the deal but would prefer to buy local. If Hayward comes in too high, you can bluff and still tell the local dealers they offered $144 (based on that ad).

Alright folks, I’ve decided to accept a ~$170/mo+tax offer ($0 driveoff, $0 down) on the jetta.

First time leaser, any advice for when I go in? Things to look for on the contract before I sign, common gotchas, etc?

So far I’m just going to go in and make sure GAP insurance is included in the cost of the lease.

1 Like

Nice! The finance department will first ask if you want some extras such as a service package or excess wear and tear protection. I don’t see the need for a service package if all you’ll need is oil changes, and I declined the excess wear and tear because it just seems like a ripoff. GAP insurance should be included at no cost through VW financial, and the finance person will definitely know that if asked. Then they will give you a bunch of papers to sign and explain them as you go. Feel free to spend some time reading over all of the figures on the lease agreement (the very long paper) before signing.

Is that 170+tax better than 144+tax and fees?
I’m near Hayward and was hoping for around 160 including everything.

@Dunknown24 it depends on your tax rate and applicable fees, while that isn’t a helpful answer it’s the only one I can give you.

On a 3 year lease all else being equal the difference between 170/mo and 144/mo is $936. 170+ tax would bump you up a bit, but the fees for a 144 payment might include an acquisition fee, doc fees, title/registration which could easily hit $936 given that VW acquisition fee is $625

The $144 was hypothetical based on a guess of how much they’d discount the cap cost. It can’t hurt to offer $160 all-in and see if they will do it or send back a counter offer.

Got the car - here’s the final. Got these numbers after having more than 10 dealerships in SoCal bid and just trying to see which one was willing to give me the best deal. Ended up being VW Van Nuys, ask for Farshid.

2016 Jetta SE Auto
$0 Drive Off, $0 Down, $0 Due at Signing, whatever you call it.
MSRP $21,315
Residual 52%
MF .00005
Monthly: $171+tax
Selling Price: $16515

1 Like

Hi taikis

did that 171 month price include doc fees and registration?

Yes, it included everything except tax. I believe my dealer wrapped a bunch of stuff into a $1k drive off on paper and then cancelled it out using the 1k MYE rebate or something.

Whatever they did, I did not pay a dime when I picked up the car. I’d suggest reaching out, if you PM me I can give you the guy’s cell #. Seemed nice enough, and gave me the price I wanted. Maybe you can use it as leverage.

thanks sounds exactly like what im looking for… how do you like the car so far?
how do i pm? click on your name?

Love it! I think the SE is a good compromise of comfort features and price. I’m happy to have the Bluetooth/CarPlay integration, push to start, and heated seats. My last car had none of those things. More unique to the Jetta itself, even the 1.4t engine is really fun to drive. And I personally think the cabin looks better than the other cars I drove in the same class (Civic, Corolla).

Yes, click on my name - hit Message.