Help me vet my lease deal on a 2016 Jetta 1.4t SE!

Hi guys,

I’m trying to find the best deal on a lease for 2016 Jetta 1.4t SE (Auto). I’m in the process of reaching out to every dealer for the best selling price - I haven’t started negotiating the lease terms yet.

While I haven’t gotten a response from everyone yet, one dealer had a TrueCar price of $4,779 under MSRP = $16,517.

It seems like a super awesome price - can I trust it? Should I even bother looking at other dealers? This is in LA County by the way.

Thanks!

Not all that surprised…I’ve seen 1.4T SE Connectivity advertised for a higher discount off MSRP

VW residuals are fairly low (reflecting the battering their brand and resale value have taken) so dealers have to offer a large % off MSRP to reach a competitive lease payment in a crowded market.

I’d also look at cars.com and/or dealers’ individual websites…sometimes dealers advertise prices that are lower than truecar.

Yeah, I’m waiting to hear back from all the dealers that I contacted.

Can anyone explain to me why this website, whose process I am following for lowest selling price, says to ask for the invoice price? Doesn’t it not matter to me as long as the selling price plus any fees is lower than the rest?

Not familiar with that website, but perhaps its obsolete advice? Back in the day, invoice mattered a lot more. Nowadays, like you say, all that matters is who has the lowest price & fees

Makes sense. I’ll try and figure out the lowest prices among all the other stuff this website is asking for.

why jetta going by their ads you can get passat. Have a look at this ad, which will provide some pointers to how much you can get.

http://www.vwhayward.com/ManagersSpecial

1 Like

So if we roll everything into just the monthly payments for the Jetta 1.4T SE on that specific stock number, MRSP is 20,215 and according to ad residual is $11,926.85 or 59% for 24mo/10K miles it looks like.

19/mo + 1499 due at signing + $500 trade in + $1000 model year end. So if you don’t have a trade-in and you include the acquisition fee of 625 it looks like $3081 over 2 years pre tax, title, and doc fees? or $128/mo. Putting in 15,515 as the sale price in the leasehacker calculator and the 1000 model year end as a rebate I’m getting 161 pre tax using .001 as the MF (2.4%) but even lowering that to .0001 I still hit 137 pre tax

Ballpark $150ish without the trade-in bonus? It’s a headache to untangle these numbers.

1 Like

Thanks for doing that, I was curious too.
A bit more than I thought. I’ll see how much they give me for my old honda and if I can get the grad bonus.
Do you know if the uber rebate is available?

Hm, I’m seeing an MSRP of 20,315, and the residuals that the dealers are telling are all like 49-51%. Should I negotiate this up? That’s a huge difference. Keep in mind though that I’m going for a 36 mo lease for 10k mi.

Also how are you getting $15,515 as the sale price? The lowest selling price I’m seeing through dealers is $16,821, and that’s taking into account the $1k Model Year End rebate.

Putting my numbers into the lease calculator gives me like a $210 after tax. I was hoping for somewhere under $200.

P.S. MF they are giving me is .00005. None of the dealers have given me a residual over 52%.

I got the sale pirce of 15515 from the ad for the 1.4T SE and the residual from the ad as well. I looked at that specific stock number to get the MRSP, it’s also in the ad. They have a big OR and then list a discount to sale price, then the $500 trade in and the $1000 model year end after that.

residuals that the dealers are telling are all like 49-51%. Should I negotiate this up? That’s a huge difference. Keep in mind though that I’m going for a 36 mo lease for 10k mi.

Residuals are set by Volkswagen, Dealers can’t change that. A difference of a couple points in residual accounts for 10K to 12K mileage changes. Residuals for 24mo and 36mo are also completely different. You can confirm residuals at this forum, some people have access to those numbers, you can also get them by asking your dealer.

The numbers diff is because including the 1k model year end you’re only 18% off MRSP, whereas in the ad with the 1K model year end it was 28% assuming I ran the numbers right!

That MF is super low and nice btw

Gotcha! Good to know what numbers they can and can’t change.

One of the dealers said they had a $1750 factory cash incentive on leases or something, so hopefully I can use that to drive prices lower on the other dealers.

What ad are you talking about? Is this something that only applies to your area? Is it over now?

I’m regretting asking people just for the selling price because in the end all of the other things matter too like residual and MF. Even though they should be mandated by VW, some dealers are not giving me the full 52% residual. In the end all that matters is what is a monthly payment on a $0 down / $0 drive off car, right? So I should just ask for that and then see who wants to beat the lowest price of the others. Seems like a simpler approach?

E

Dealers can’t change the residual. VW financial won’t accept it if it’s wrong. Either they misunderstood what terms you were asking for or they changed it for August. You can definitely do better than $16821 on selling price. Have you pushed back on any offers and asked them to do better?

@lalib1 is talking about the VW Hayward ad linked a few posts up. I don’t understand how they’re not losing money on those leases.

I haven’t pushed back, mostly because I wasn’t sure what a good deal really looked like. What selling price should I really be pushing for here before I say, yeah that’s good enough.

Keeping in mind that I live in SoCal.

Eshan

Are you still looking at an automatic? Lowest MSRP on the SE is $20095 + $820 destination = $20915

The stock number listed in the ad is for a manual, but since you are in CA, it might be worth it to reach out to get a quote on an automatic. $4700 dealer discount + $1000 MYE bonus is crazy!

If they did $4700 off an SE automatic, the lease would look like this:
MSRP $21235 (lowest listed from their inventory)
Sale price $16535
minus Lease Cash $1000
plus Acq. fee $625
36mo, 10k miles, 52% res, .00005 mf
$144/mo + tax, title/reg, doc fee

http://media-dmg.assets-cdk.com/teams/repository/export/v/2/577/70e5094ca100585610050568b5709/57770e5094ca100585610050568b5709.jpg

Even if you don’t plan on traveling that far to get a deal, you can use it as a bargaining chip by telling local dealers that you will do it if they can’t match.

@jmac63 how much would that be on a 24 month lease?
I assumed they advertised 24 months because it was a better deal

Put all the info above into the lease calculator but change 36 months to 24 and change the residual from 52% to 59%

This is very interesting. Literally every bid I’ve gotten says the MSRP is 21,315.00???

Can I take that ad and just show it to the dealers and say, hey what the fuck is with your MSRP? That should be constant across the entire US for VW right?

No. There are options that can make it go up. They will be listed on the window sticker.

But you had said 20315, not 21315.

20315 is too low and is either missing the destination charge or is for the manual.

21315 is quite possible depending on the options and accessories.

So lowest sale price I’m getting is $17,472 - applying the MYE rebate would be 16472. The monthly for that deal is $182.56+tax. How are you getting to such a low number?