Help leasing a 2019 Forester Sport in CA (signing tomorrow)

Bump. Sorry I’m getting close to signing wondering what anyone else thinks.

I think if you have shopped around and these are the best numbers you have received, you have your answer. It is not an especially spectacular lease - you’d do way better with an Outback on a lease. For this kind of coin you could be driving an Outback 3.6 Limited.

But if you’re dead set on the Forester, then go for it.

Thanks yeah the wagon style doesn’t really do it for me personally, and yes that’s far and above the best quote I’ve received with no negotiation and full transparency from the beginning with the dealer. I could probably continue to shop around and save $10-$20 (just a guess) but based on my interaction with the 8 or so dealers it may or may not happen.

Then there is your answer. It isn’t a good deal because the car simply isn’t leasing well right now. If you have to have it, then you pay a premium for it.

Hey guys, I’ll be making a trip tomorrow morning to pick up a 2019 Subaru Forester (premium) for $327 per month (I have another thread that has all the details). I’ve learned SO MUCH these last few weeks stalking this forum and having my questions and concerns answered. Thank you!

This is my first lease (and only second car i’ve driven) and I’m a tad bit nervous. The sales rep that’s working with me has been super courteous, quick, and transparent throughout the process so i’m hoping it goes seamless tomorrow. Credit has been ran and everything checks out. Car has been reserved.

Any last minute advice?
I remember when I financed my first car, the transaction was exhausting and annoying especially getting a hard sell from the finance manager. Should I expect something similar tomorrow? Does subaru leasing include gap insurance, if not is it mandatory to purchase? I’m hoping to be in and out within an hour.

Thank you!

I looked into this when leasing an Outback for my parents this summer. Subaru leasing is done through Chase Bank…here are the highlights:

1. Gap insurance is included at no extra cost
  2. Excess wear and tear up to $1,000 is included, excluding certain exclusions (i.e. worn tires).

https://www.chase.com/content/dam/chasecom/en/business-banking/documents/Subaru_Lease_Guide.pdf

Page 5 -

Total Loss and GAP In the event there is a total loss, destruction or theft of the vehicle, we will waive your liability for any GAP amount, provided you are in compliance with your insurance requirements. This GAP Amount Waiver is included in your lease at no additional cost. The GAP amount is how much is due after subtracting the vehicle’s actual cash value (paid by the insurance company) from the Adjusted Lease Balance* on your lease as of the date of the loss. There are certain conditions that must be met before you are released from any additional liabilities:

• We must receive the insurance proceeds for the vehicle’s full actual cash value at the time of loss.

• You must pay any required deductible to Chase or the insurance company (as specified in your insurance policy).

• You must fulfill all your other obligations in your lease agreement.

• Please see your lease agreement for a full explanation of how we calculate the Adjusted Lease Balance.

Page 7 -

Lease-End Charges We will send you your lease-end bill after your vehicle is returned. You will be responsible for payment of certain fees at the scheduled end of the lease term if you do not purchase the vehicle: • Excess Wear and Use Charges: You will owe the estimated costs to repair any damage to the vehicle in excess of $1,000, subject to certain exclusions, such as worn tires. You will owe the full amount of the estimated repair or replacement costs for excluded items of damage. We offer a complimentary lease-end vehicle inspection, as described in the Lease End Vehicle Inspection section, so you will know the amount of any excess wear and use charges before you return the vehicle. Please see your lease agreement for a full description of the excess wear and use standards.

1 Like

The discount is about $300 under invoice. Very little, IMO.

1 Like

Thanks so much!

Sorry Ursus, what are you referring to? The gap insurance? Or the MSRP?

Just use the Subaru VIP program pricing at a dealer who is willing to accept it, and you can get the vehicle from any participating dealer. It is 2% under invoice, with no haggling. You can get this discount for about $60 by searching Google for “subaru vip phs”. Make sure you go in with the proper money factor from the edmunds leasing forum for your zipcode and trim level (the dealer can mess with that by .005)…don’t worry about the residiual, that is set nationwide. That discount won’t be immediate, though, it takes a couple of days.

Sorry I’m also not understanding what ur referring to? The lease quote I’m gonna sign? Or my question about gap insurance? Someone above said it was included…

They’re trying to to tell you the deal you’re about to sign isn’t that great and offering up a way for you to get it cheaper…nothing to do with the GAP coverage or wear and tear included.

oh okay, got it. I’ll research the VIP program right now…

So, I looked into the Subaru VIP program and how to sign up. I also wanted to see what 2% off the invoice looked like before signing up.
So I reached out to my sales rep and the Dealer Cost of the car is $27,215 (the sales rep actually sent me the invoice to me via text at 10:30pm local time, which i find admirable). So a 2% discount would come out to be $26,670. On the lease quote it shows the Cash Sale Price of $26,715.

Unless I did the math wrong then clearly it’s not worth it for me to wait a few days to sign up for Subaru VIP program since the difference is < $100 (and that’s not even including the fee to sign up in the first place.)

Here are the lease quotes and invoice sheet, if anyone cares to double check it. Thank you for your help.

I’m saying that you are not getting proper discount. You don’t need Subaru VIP to get 2% when you can get at least $1,000 under invoice on a Forester by negotiating, I would think.
@okifeelthat

1 Like

Bank acq fee is only 295? Nice …

What the heck BMW with 995? Does it cost more to run a bank that lends to BMW than one that lends to Subaru

1 Like

I see. Well, currently the price is $500 under invoice. Of course I would like to save another $500, but I’m just not sure it would be possible considering the two other dealers with the closest offers have dropped out of negotiations as soon as I told them to beat my current offer. I could look to other dealers of course but frankly I’m getting tired and want to get it already. And maybe I’m really trustworthy but I like my sales rep too!

Not enough dealer discount. I was quoted 1900 under invoice on a Sport.

Wow that’s really good! Is that in the Bay Area?

Just signed! Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. I’m officially a Subie owner! And thanks @Warbeast for your help, she was a great sales rep!