HELP! Baby movers - Cadillac XT5 vs. Lexus RX 350 zero down 36/10 lease

We did. $520/month with first month due at delivery for a $53k MSRP 36/15k per year. It beats the 1% rule and she gets 15k so we are happy with it. The local dealer wanted $670/month for the same car. They are a Lexus Plus “no negotiation” dealership and said 90% of their customers are happy to just pay the price they are quoted.

Wow, that’s absurd. Do people actually pay that?

If you’d like, I could speak to my dealer about working up a more aggressive deal on your car. My uncle wants to buy one, now that he’s seen mine, so I’ll be negotiating a 52K package for him as well.

1 Like

I guess. They do. I appreciate the offer, but she’s already flying out to pick up the vehicle in a couple days. She turns in her Jeep today, so she wants to get it ASAP. Please post what you get for him though, as I’d be curious. Good luck and congratulations on your F Sport.

Will do, and thanks!

Hello,

Can anyone confirm whether each MSD equal to the original payment, that is, what the monthly payment would be BEFORE applying the MSD’s, or what the payment comes out to AFTER applying the MSD?

For Lexus, each MSD amount is calculated AFTER applying the discount.

@jimjay like @Jon said, it’s based on the post-MSD discount price. However, be sure that they calculate things correctly. I’ve had two dealers send me quotes with weird MSD numbers. They should be evenly divisible by 25, since Lexus rounds to the nearest 25. I received a quote where the MSD was $4637.18 or something crazy like that. Not sure how they came up with that, but it made me suspicious of some funny business going on behind the scenes.

On a side note, with a starting MF of .00048 (hybrid), you should only need 6 MSDs to bring it to 0.00001, right? This dealer insisted that I have to put 9 down to get it that low. Red flag #2. (not the guy who i bought my F Sport from, btw).

@vdub84 @Jon Thanks guys! yea that makes sense…when i plug in the numbers on the Leasehackr calculator, the Total MSD payment equals to what the Monthly Payment would be AFTER applying it. I’m only looking to pay 5 MSD’s…do some dealerships require you to max it out? I was under the impression it was buyer’s choice.

Im looking in the South Florida Area, and most Dealer Fees are approximately $798, another $797 for Acquisition PLUS roughly $400 or so in Electronic License, DMV fees etc…So im out $2000 already.

It should be up to you how many you’d want to put down.

How much does each MSD typically lower the MF by? Depend on brand? How do we as consumers find out this information

Lexus lowers it by .00008 per MSD.

hello guys, first lease. i am in SoCal
Here is what I am working with:
2017 RX350
MSRP 58619

10k / 36 mo

$17,500 one pay lease. over 36 months that comes to $486.11

What do you guys think?

@tbell0

Not bad! But why do you want to do a one pay? That’s a fat chunk of change to give up in one payment. What is the offer using MSDs? if it’s close to the $17,500 total lease cost, then I’d highly recommend that instead. You’d get to hold onto your $12,500 to buy candy. Lots of candy.

@vdub84
The offer would have came out to about $1800 more at the end if we took the MSD option.

So my biggest decision right now is whether to take advantage of the $1500 Lease cash currently being offered by Lexus in South Florida. It expires on July 5th which does not give me a lot of time. I was also hoping to test drive Acura MDX, Infiniti QX60, BMW X3, LR Discovery Sport, even Mazda CX9 etc, but when i try to include my most desired options - Navigation, Rear Camera, Blind Spot Assist, it just seems like the Lexus comes out on top in terms of leasing.I’v seen some great QX60 deals on this site but they are all on the base models. Adding those options ups the payment into the $500’s, but with Lexus, i can keep it in the mid 400’s. Please free to correct me if i’m wrong.

The other thing is that my current lease expires in July so I was hoping to avoid two car payments on the same month. I know the Lexus December to Remember sales events are pretty good. Any thoughts on whether Lexus runs any promotions during the summer – July, August? I would just hate to lose the $1500 incentive, unless they run these all the time. This is my first time looking at Lexus so not really familiar with their incentives. Also, do they include PrePaid Maintenance on their leases? If not, how much more is it?

@tbell0 wow that’s a big difference. tough call, then. Not sure what I would do in that case. If you can swing the one pay without worry, then go for it. It’s a good deal. Otherwise, try to get the selling price lower and put MSDs down to hold onto the extra dough. At just under $59k, you should be able to get that monthly price with MSDs, so they’re holding back somewhere.

@jimjay

Out of the list you have, I drove the QX60, Discovery, Mazda CX9, and used to own an MDX. I got a price estimate on an X3, but didn’t drive it, so I can’t really comment on that.

I wouldn’t go with any of those cars over the RX. Surprisingly, the BEST of those was the Mazda CX-9. Fully loaded, it was a very unexpectedly impressive car. But the payments on that are higher than an RX due to bad MF/RV. You’re right about the prices being the most aggressive with the RX. It’s the best as far as luxury/value/performance goes.

QX60 -
Has a super old infotainment control system (12+ years old). Didn’t feel smooth/competent/quick like my G37S or Q50. I left that drive feeling unimpressed. Infiniti isn’t quite up to par with other luxury brands as far as expensive-feeling (yet), but they make up for it with incredible performance and stupid low leases. This car has none of that. Storage space is great, though.

Discovery -
Decent, competent drive, but nothing impressive. Back seat is a tight fit with a carseat installed, and trunk is small. I was really there to drive the F-Pace, but since the numbers were so bad on that car, I test drove the Discovery instead. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m not a huge fan of the Range/Land Rover line. Unless you get a SuperCharged Range, it’s just not an exciting car, nor does it feel luxurious. The F-Pace was quite the opposite. It had both, but with the price to match. Not sure how aggressive LR can get with the Discovery since a new 3 row redesign is coming out (or might already be), but you could probably get a lightly-equipped in the mid 4’s.

Acura MDX -
Just not a fan of Acuras at all. They look/feel too similar to Hondas but cost 30% more, whereas Lexus looks nothing like Toyota. I’ve owned an Accord and MDX, albeit older ones. Driving the MDX didn’t feel luxurious in the slightest. Good storage space though.

Mazda CX-9 -
The best out of your list, for sure. Large, roomy, and unexpectedly luxurious. Had all the toys like the pano roof, HUD, sensors, blind spot monitor, etc. 4 Cylinder, but certainly didn’t feel like it. Just too new of a design, so the deals aren’t available just yet. I think RV was 56 and the MF was 0.0012 or something like that.

That’s just my opinion, though. You might disagree 100% with everything I said. But with no reservations, I say go for the RX. With an incredible lease cash offer like that, don’t pass it up. I’m jealous - we only get $500 here in SoCal. December to Remember might be slightly better, but if you’re shopping for a '17, inventory is running low, so you might not have your pick of the litter then. Right now, Lexus wants to clear '17 inventory since the '18s are coming in, so you have a combination of strong promotions and good selection. No clue on the prepaid maintenance, but why would you want to do that? 1st year is free. Just take care of the oil changes after that and give the car back.

Have you looked at the CX-9 Touring? With the premium package, it has everything you’re looking for. Through the Honcker app, I’m seeing $368/mo inc tax w/ $1380 due at signing.

What kind of payments are you looking at for the RX350? I’m also in South Florida and looking at these two vehicles and the Jeep GC Limited.

@vdub84 Thanks so much for the detailed response! I was so happy when i first came across this thread…you pretty much did all the work for me. I’m in same boat in that i am looking to get this for my wife and baby. And yea, everything you said more or less confirms what I’ve read online…QX60 - great deals, so-so luxury, LR Sport- meh. I feel like Acura MDX is still worth a drive, but i read somewhere that they dont do MSD’s, and i don’t have much time left. Looks like you were able to get almost 13% off MSRP. Care to share how? I’m gonna need to spend all my time across all the Lexus dealerships in the area in order to pull off something similar.

@vmjp I haven’t really gone to any dealers yet, but if i am able to pull off a similar discount like @vdub84, and that’s a BIG IF, i’m looking at mid 400’s, using the leasehackr calculator. $368/mo looks like a pretty good deal on CX9, but i think blind spot assist and driver memory settings are only available on the Grand Touring, which is a 5K difference…and then you start getting close to the luxury numbers. Trust me, I’v gone back on forth on whether to go Toyota, Honda, Hyundai vs Acura, Lexus, Infinity…but it just seems like once you add up some options combined with how well the luxuries lease, it’s a negligible difference. Of course, that is just my ecperience and what’s considered negligible is obviously a personal opinion. How do you like the Honcker app? I downloaded it but am afraid to submit all my contact info. Who knows who they share it with and i don’t want anymore robocalls then i already do. What are the RX350 deals on the app like tho?

Yeah, the lack of seat memory and remote start are kind of holding me back right now, but it’s a very nice vehicle and does have other options standard, including the 3rd row.

The Honcker app is great. I haven’t had any issues with the info I submitted (no SSN yet). Unfortunately, they only have Mazda, Hyundai and Genesis in our area as of now.