Have we hit peak Federal interest rates?

no i wouldn’t. once you start doing home improvement projects you quickly learn this fact.

i was just giving the reason they gave me. i wasn’t saying that i necessarily agreed with them.

Pretty sure I owned about 10 houses and got much better deals paying contractors in cash. Not sure what you mean…maybe your issue was with trust. These were all people I worked with many many times. Always getting multiple quotes from competing contractors as well. I’d get close to 20% off using cash over a check, their personal tax reporting isn’t my business and I always hit receipts.

Before I started leasing I always paid my mechanics cash and got similar discounts on labor as well.

3 Likes

Does it look like his usual writing?

4 Likes

His usual does include profanity often

2 Likes

2 Likes

USA national debt looks like Burj Khalifa

3 Likes

Boomers here paying cash when credit card bonuses have been the highest they have ever been. Thank you for all the free money.

6 Likes

Yep. Why would you not find the right card (or 2 or 3) with the right cash back/perks/points/miles, etc., pay for literally everything with it and pay the balance off 3 times per month?

2 Likes

Wtf, 3 times a month?

Dud just turn on autopay Jesus Christ.

Boomers be brazy these days.

He can’t take your call.

If you want to max out your credit score, don’t let your bill post with a balance.

But autopay is enough for most.

3 Likes

You just get a new card every few weeks for a bonus. Like I am working on 7-8 cards right now. Wife is working on 4 cards separately. I put everything on autopay but you do you.

I do business cards only due to 5/24 so nothing is reported to your personal reports. People worried about their credit score shouldn’t be doing this. We have had 800+ credit score for a very long time.

4 Likes

Am I the only one not that worried about my credit score?

12 Likes

When I started getting a lot of cards my score went up quite a bit after a year or so. Was ~720/740, now stays around 790/810

My biggest problem now is finding a card - between lifetime rules at amex and Citi/boa being picky with their higher end cards

2 Likes

Precisely. Paying these off 3 times per month means that account will likely never be shown on a CR as having a balance, and your utilization for revolving/charge/open accounts will show as close to zero as possible for each. Get a higher credit limit regularly and that type of info can supercharge your score. There can be a huge difference in what is available to you and at what terms even between an 800 and 850 score.

In other news, full bailout incoming:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2023/03/12/silicon-valley-bank-deposits/

2 Likes

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/finance/dont-zero-every-credit-card

I also have 800+ credit so dont really care. Your income means more at this point then your credit score lol

1 Like

Signature Bank in NY shuttered.

Rumor is there are more to follow…

5 Likes

Next is first republic bank

4 Likes

Mark Warner, a Virginia Democrat on the US Senate banking committee, said SVB had been “caught in a bind” by higher interest rates. A run on the bank last week, with $42bn withdrawn on Thursday alone, was accelerated by “some actors”, he told ABC’s This Week.

Warner indicated consensus that “shareholders of [SVB] ought to lose their money. Depositors have been a different circumstance, but there are questions around moral hazard”.

Trump signed the bill despite a report from Democrats on Congress’s joint economic committee warning that under the new law, SVB and other banks of its size “would no longer be subject to nearly any enhanced regulations”.

The bill was supported in the Senate by 50 Republicans and 17 Democrats, including the Democratic Virginia Senator Mark Warner, for whom Becker held a fundraiser at his Menlo Park, California, home in 2016, according to an invitation obtained by the Sunlight Foundation and OpenSecrets. The bank’s political action committee also donated a total of $10,000 to Warner’s campaigns in the 2016 and 2018 election cycles.

1 Like

This is not quite correct. You can have plenty of income and a subpar CS with missed payments (or even 1 missed payment at 30+ days) or all kinds of other stupid stuff and you will either be denied or will have bad rates. You also could have a large income and a poor DTI ratio and be in the same boat. You also could have an 800+ CS and not enough income with zero debt and be in bad shape for credit availability depending on what you are trying to do and/or finance. The combinations go on and on, and income does matter but many times it simply will not trump a bad CS. As I said above “and your utilization for revolving/charge/open accounts will show as close to zero as possible for each…” This is your 1% from Nerdwallet, which is an interesting site but in the end it is not quite the FT, Barron’s or The Economist now is it?

An 800 CS is the 75th percentile, but an 825 and up CS is the 90th percentile. Generally an 800 and up CS will get you where you need to be credit-wise but no matter what there can be a difference in the types of credit vehicles that are available by rate, type and whatnot for an 800 CS vs. a +/- 850 CS.

1 Like

I think it’s safe to say this aged well. QE is back! Fed just bailed out banks. Fed just became a leveraged lender. Lending against collateral it “values at par” when that collateral is dog💩

1 Like