Hatchback Lease Deals?

Hello! This is my first ever post so go easy on me. I’m looking to lease a hatchback and was curious as to why hot hatches like the Golf R, CTR and Veloster N don’t lease well. Is there a specific reason as to why?

I’d also be interested in perhaps a BMW X1 or X2 if the prices is right. I’m assuming those lease better than the hot hatches.

Also, what does MF stand for? And why is that important?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to soak up as much information as possible!

Thanks in advance!

We just had a thread on these cars: Best hot hatch to lease/finance?

Cars that lease ‘well’ will have some combination of a very low MF, inflated RV, and substantial incentives. The vehicles that you mentioned have none of those.

Not sure why you’d possibly cross shop an X1/X2 to a Civic Type-R, that’s like looking for a new pet and cross shopping a hamster to a bengal tiger, but there are plenty of threads on here about them. Get comfortable with the search function and ask specific questions.

1 Like

Also, what does MF stand for? And why is that important?

MF = Money Factor. This is essentially the interest rate on the depreciation that you are paying. I would highly suggest reading the article that the poster above referenced to brush up on your terminology and how to calculate lease payments.

Some cars lease better than others…this is primarily due to the manufacturer’s choice in lease program offerings, which can vary down to the trim level of the vehicle in question. The lease program combined with the dealer’s selling price discount off MSRP is what needs to be aligned to result in a good lease value.

Basically the manufacturer doesn’t want these “hot hatches” back, which is why they offer very little in the form of leasing incentives. Why don’t they want them back? Because generally they will be driven by younger owners who are gonna beat on them and possibly defer maintenance, which kills their resale value, hence the lower residual value.