Has anyone gotten a bit of an attitude for mentioning Leasehackr?

Excellent idea. The Internet reps are manager-level ranking persons and can cut you a deal, they have the numbers mindset like everyone on leasehackr. The only way you come in the door is when the deal is already done. Saves a lot of frustration and needless arm-twisting. I had a really good experience with the DGDG Ford Internet rep here in San Jose.

Yes! When I went to a dealer in Palo Alto, I asked them a few questions about MF, residuals, etc. I DID NOT even mention LeaseHackr. This guy automatically started talking about it.

ā€œYou know there seems to be this new website out there these days called LaseHackr. I have seen many people using it and then they come to us asking for ridiculous deals that no one will ever offer. This website is fake and people should not trust whatā€™s on thereā€

I just chuckled and told him to make me his best offer which I already knew was going to be ridiculously high. When he made me an offer, I told him what I was willing to pay and he said ā€œIf anyone offers you that deal, please do come back let me know coz I think itā€™s impossibleā€

Hi.

Just got back from a camping trip at Huntington Lakeā€¦ So beautifulā€¦

We just leased a Volvo XC60 last month. Here are the highlightsā€¦

1. Used the dealer websites to check inventory with 300 miles.
  2. Sent emails to ask about the availability of specific vehicles (included VIN)
  3. Asked if they could send a offer over the internet. (Some required phone calls) DID NOT NEGOTIATE AT THIS POINT!!!
  4. Reviewed offers and emailed back dealerships that did not give me enough information.
  5. Eliminated dealerships that could not get me a complete offer within 3 communications (suspect bait and switch)
  6. Compared the offers to each other and info found in forums.
  7. Made counter offers to 2 of the offers. Reduced money factor and residual to base - Found on internet. Also reduced adjusted cap by $2 to $2.5 K. Also used max MSDs to adjust MF.
  8. Both dealerships were interested. One counter offered slightly higher. The other accepted my offer.
  9. Visit dealership that accepted my offer and leased the vehicle. No attempt was made for further negotiations with me. (Ignored the warranty packages.)

IMHO, it helps to have several vehicles in mind and several dealerships in mind. Do everything remotely. Keep backup offers in mind so that if the dealership starts playing games, you can just walk out.

Good luck.

PS. We are in Los Angeles.

4 Likes

I work as an Internet Sales Manager for a luxury dealership in California. My biggest issue with clients mentioning this website is that many customers spends a few minutes on here and become the expert of what I do day in and day out for the past 5 years. I get it , we donā€™t have the best reputation and I will not spend time trying to change peoples view on us. But the majority of us are hard working professionals just like our customer base. Some people use this site right and its an awesome tool to help get a clearer picture but itā€™s not the end all say all and when we try to explain that , I can feel a potential client losing trust in me , like I am trying to steal when in reality Iā€™m just trying to explain that there are many moving parts to a car purchase and using a online calculator cannot determine everything. The average person buys five to ten cars in a lifetime. The average salesman sells 10 a month. Donā€™t get me wrong, I get wanting the best deal . I am probably one of the cheapest people on this website but maybe its just me but negotiating down to the last penny for a Luxury item is a pretty big sign that you probably shouldnt be driving that car.
Also , I would like to see a website that breaks down the cost of things like furniture purchases. Furniture roughly has a 300-500 percent profit margin. I am pretty sure that saving money on that would be more helpful than saving $50 on a car payment

1 Like

Most people donā€™t pay 15-19k over 3 years for the furniture.

13 Likes

Wait, the dealer tore up the proposal in front of you? Did he also pour a cold drink over your head? Is this what passes for customer service nowadays?

1 Like

What kind of logic is this? Maybe itā€™s a sign that you shouldnā€™t be in this business as well.

13 Likes

What is it exactly that youā€™re the expert of?

Expertise in taking advantage of uneducated buyers who donā€™t know any better?

At the end of the day itā€™s about numbers for the buyers just as it is for you. Now that LH is better known itā€™s slightly more difficult for dealers to take some potential buyers to the proverbial cleaners. Boohoo.

Dealers mostly suck and nobody would care if a majority of them fell off a cliff.

8 Likes

Itā€™s a year old thread, just FYI. Maybe should just close it.
Maybe not - still relevant question.

1 Like

So what exactly is your point? Or you just wanted to join this forum to complain about your customers?

5 Likes

Life is much harder for dealers now, thanks to the popularity of LH.

5 Likes

First rule of leasehackr is not mentioning leasehackr

15 Likes

So your dealership wonā€™t be offering any fantastic deals, such as the $900/mo. Pilot I saw here on LH? Darn!

6 Likes

Can people overpay by up to 5k on their furniture? Not usually. What other market can you think of where 2 people obtain the exact same item and one pays thousands more than the other?

Do certain people misuse the concepts presented here and ask for the impossible? Of course. But to act like thereā€™s not a need for a community like this in the leasing industry is a very short sighted position to take. Hey if you enjoy your employee pricing, more power to you!

Actually negotiating down to the last penny is probably why they can afford the car in the first place.

22 Likes

I for one appreciate the perspective here from another dealer. Iā€™m also willing to bet that some of our own registered brokers and dealers would echo similar sentiments.

People walking in and mentioning leasehackr are NOT the educated folks coming from our forums - the ones who get it understand that this place is a resource and a guide - not a citable reference to get a deal (our registered dealers and brokers aside).

I would never talk to a dealer and pretend I knew their business better than they do. Every place of business has their operating model - some dealers have one that supports the one offs we seek here. Others donā€™t. Thatā€™s OK. I use the knowledge Iā€™ve gained here to assess if theyā€™re capable of doing the kind of deal Iā€™m interested in. And if not? On to the next.

15 Likes

Rule number one about LeaseHackr. You donā€™t mention LH to dealers, ever.

15 Likes

great fight club reference!

1 Like

$50 on a car paymentā€¦per monthā€¦figure the average auto loan is 48-60 months with the average lease at 36mosā€¦5-10 carsā€¦

Iā€™m not going to pretend I know how much money that is over a lifetime, but itā€™s a lot more complicated than just ā€œ$50ā€. Donā€™t worry though. You might not get the sweat off a true Hackrā€™s brow, but sooner or later a sucker will walk in and pay asking and ask for the full protection suite.

We must honor and thank them for their service.

7 Likes