Has anyone gotten a bit of an attitude for mentioning Leasehackr?

Not going to say what brand of automobile or dealer here since Fresno has so few dealers. Long story short I saw an online ad for one model up of a car I wanted, the ad was okay but I was hoping to be able to show the dealer this ad and hope they can set me up with a deal with the one I wanted. At first the salesman was quite nice and wanted me to test drive the car, I wasn’t interested in a test drive. I already test drove the car during its launch event in 2016 so I wanted to just get down to business.

Needless to say the price he quoted me was even more than their A6 price which was advertised. So I offhandedly mentioned this website, btw I am new so could it be bad form to mention this website? Please let me know if what I did was bad. This was when he got a little upset, saying that the price calculator is just wishful thinking and I wouldn’t be able to get anything that people posted in the forum. And that the this very website shouldn’t be trusted. At this point I told him I would think the price he offered over and walked out.

Should I not have said anything about Leasehackr is this bad car buying etiquette? Just wanted to share this bizarre story that happened to me today. He even tore up the proposal as if I somehow offended him.

1 Like

Read up on negotiating on this website, don’t do it in person.

4 Likes

Yea I guess because it feels like kinda overwhelming, they were ready to run my credit which I don’t like them doing.

Yeah I mean I definitely wouldn’t trust the hundreds of people here who have nothing to profit from helping others vs an Audi dealer in Fresno. And the calculator? Those things are never realistic or accurate, especially when you depend on bumping the clients money factor over base or crediting incentives as “dealer discount”

19 Likes

The first rule of Leasehackr is: you do not talk about Leasehackr. The second rule of LeaseHackr is: You DO NOT TALK ABOUT LEASEHACKR!

43 Likes

Your first mistake was going to an Audi dealer looking for a good deal…

33 Likes

So I am too polite, okay I get it… I’ve gotten screwed with a few lease before. For instance this Lexus love the car but then I entered the numbers into the calculator. Then again my politeness has gotten me a good deal on a 2012 C250 from Keyes Van Nuys.

In Fresno no less, where they’re probably the only Audi dealer within 100 miles

If you’re looking for an Audi and you’re in Cali check out @IvanAudi, he’ll save you a lot of time and give you a good idea of what is achievable.

4 Likes

Nothing wrong with being polite. It is about being firm about what you want and having the information and knowledge to feel confident that you are not asking for something insane - cause that is what they will try to make you think.

And as I as already mentioned, negotiate via email never at the dealer. The ones worth the business will respect this.

3 Likes

TBQH I might just give up on the A5 SB, all of the specials I’ve been scouring in CA is pretty bad, I shouldn’t compare brands but this 2016 Lexus with adaptive cruise @ 49k MSRP was only 2500 DAS and 553/mo this with taxes and TBQH I kinda felt ripped off. While the Audi’s MSRP was 45k and the numbers that multiple dealers have quoted me was around $3000-3998 DAS and 599-650 a mo. I mean why would a car with a lower MSRP have a higher monthly payment is beyond me. Not only that but the Lexus was 12k/yr. while the Audi was 10k at these prices. Could it be that the A5 is a more in demand car than a Lexus RX350?

I’ve mentioned this site once and that was when the sales guy stopped responding to my emails

6 Likes

I was talking with a Volvo manager yesterday about why they would not come close to matching a 10% off qoute. He said recently everyone is asking for 10% off. I said have you heard of leasehackr? He said “oh, they are the worst!”. I think there is a connection. This site is blowing up.

6 Likes

Dealers hate this one trick, click here to find out!

16 Likes

I agree with that rule. No point mentioning it. Just learn all numbers before negotiating. Dealer will be less inclined to deal with you if you say i read and easily discount it. Still some buyers expect same deal as posted even though they might not qualify for all rebates or dealer does not need to reach a quota. Many variables involved in a good leasehacker deal. Most importantly shopping when you dont need the car is the best time.

What do you do when you find the car but already have a lease with months to go?

Spokane is like that too. Plus the family that manages the local Audi dealer for Autonation are horrible. I don’t think I would buy any new luxury brand of car locally.

This shows that you need to read Leasing 101 to understand how leasing works before attempting your next negotiation.

8 Likes

Mentioning leasehackr gets you nowhere fast, especially with everyone mentioning it since that Bloomberg article.

The key to lease hacking is having all the information the dealer doesn’t know you have and guiding them to the final numbers. And timing. Timing seems equally important.

10 Likes

The site basically goes step by step on how leases work and what to look for which is like 70% of the battle so you don’t get ripped off. The other 30% is doing research on the supply and demand of the car in your area, knowing the incentives, residuals/mf, and then matching with the dealer that is willing to take a crappy lease deal so that they can meet their quota for the month, quarter, year = leasehackr worthy deal :slight_smile:

2 Likes