Has anyone experienced a "EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS TITLE ISSUED" on a Tesla Model Y?

Hey!
Not sure if anyone can help out but looking to purchase a used Tesla Model Y 2020

The dealer said it had a clean brand however when running a check it show a warning of * EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS TITLE ISSUED

How can that be possible for a 2 year old Tesla? Has anyone seen/ experianced this before.

Any help will be massively helpful!

Thanks!

Someone checked the wrong box for the odometer statement.

3 Likes

How many miles?

I seem to remember titles on some older cars showing a similar designation due to 5 digit odometers.

Of course that makes no sense on a Tesla though…

1 Like

Word is, if you leave one thing broken on your Tesla, everything else will be fine.

I can’t swear to it but it is certainly true that it is a story.

Lol do the panel gaps count or does it need to be electrical? Wonder if this guys TCO is low enough to appease some on this forum!

1 Like

Well, due to the age of the car, I’m going to assume that it came with it and still retains free unlimited supercharging.

Can’t beat that.

Like @Jon said, seller checked the wrong box. NY title has three boxes

1. Reflect the Actual Mileage
  2. Exceed mechanical limit
  3. Not the actual mileage

It’s a pretty easy fix, tell the selling dealer to get a correction title from a NY dmv. Shouldn’t be a problem as long as the dealer have an odometer disclosure statement signed by the previous seller

2 Likes

Thanks guys that’s really helpful and appreciated! Will speak to dealer today.

Additionally would you recommend getting a mechanic to do check of car if not from a Tesla dealer directly?

Unless you plan on getting Electrified Garage to give it an inspection, no one outside of Tesla really will be able to dig into it.

Historically Tesla has been really hush hush about service and repair history on their cars (I assume to discourage third party purchases and repairs)

1 Like

At least have a 3rd party inspect for previous body repairs. Doesn’t need to be Tesla specific for that. I’d want to know about remaining factory warranty, too. If still young enough, have Tesla run the vin to make sure it hasn’t been red flagged.

1 Like

Fair point, though those panel gaps (that are totally within spec) often give a hard time.

Why make this your problem? Even if or after it’s corrected, all this history will remain on carfax and auto check forever.

2 Likes