Harman Kardon and HUD. Worth it?

HK is definitely a must sounds much better then the standard hi-fi. I didn’t expect I would like the HUD as much as I actually do. Very convenient for navi, changing song tracks, the tach and warnings. Only thing is HUD cant be seen with polarized sunglasses.

1 Like

This is exactly how it should be. I got banned on a subreddit cuz I told the salesmen there that they were scamming stupid customers by charging 750 for a base model Q5 instead of that 550-575. :broken_heart:

A month or so of using HUD with CarPlay driving instructions, warnings about holes in road or obstructions on high way…I have come to find it quite nice.

At first I didn’t think it had any value but it’s actually quite nice.

The HK speakers are cool too but I haven’t heard them side by side with whatever comes stock to be able to say it’s significantly better.

2 Likes

Good point I had to get non polarized ones to drive it with.

1 Like

HUD is worth every penny and I would never get a BMW without it.

That being said, base BMW audio systems are HORRIBLE. HK makes it acceptable

2 Likes

theyre not though. audi inventory is bone dry. they charge what the market supports. slowly, but surely, even the LH community has adapted to that. it’s also about to get a LOT worse in our area, given that likely over a million cars flooded.

4 Likes

Yeah but 800 monthly with 5000 DAS. I see where they come from though.

I switched from an android to iPhone a couple months after leasing my m340.

Android only displays Google maps in HUD.

IPhone only displays apple maps in HUD.

At least your heads up display is useful lol. My Volvo HUD displays only volvo NAV nothing else

For bmw it was unlocked via OTA around a year ago I believe, maybe Volvo will do the same

What does that mean :face_with_monocle:

Or tilt head 90 degrees lol (from my grade 11 physics class) Agreed with others base BMW speakers are terrible.
https://www.ff.com/us/futuresight/hud-and-polarized-sunglasses/

1 Like

OTA= over the air update, it wasn’t a feature that shipped with the car before last year.

1 Like

No Waze?!?

Waze is ridiculous. It will drive you nuts. Makes you turn literally every other minute.

Both of these things you asked about are relative to whoever is in the driver seat. I LOVE H/K, fully necessary as others have said, but I also love my heads up display. Integrates carplay navigation and you change music and everything without looking away from the windshield. I would go for both again if I had the choice. But ultimately, if you aren’t going to be driving very much, then maybe neither are justified.

3 Likes

I love my HUD. I will never buy another vehicle without it. The HUD in my new Honda Accord is even viewable when I’m wearing polarized sunglasses. As far as I know, the Harman Kardon is a typical mid-level sound system, nothing special.

Every option you ask about will yield opinions ranging from “worthless” to “can’t live without it.”

1 Like

That’s why they are “options” right?

3 Likes

HUD is nice if you are using the M sport mode and want to manually shift gears using the rev counter. Otherwise, I find it useless. Funny enough, it is the one option I wished I ordered on my M4.

HK is worth it and I wouldn’t buy a car without the upgraded sound system or lumbar support.