GTI Lease Trade for Tiguan

Hello Fellow Hackrs!
Reaching out to get your input here since this group was very helpful when I leased my 2019 GTI (2019 GTI Rabbit - Feedback on my lease quote - #6 by Mac8787).

My current GTI lease technically ends on March 2022 but I’m well under miles since I’ve been working remote since the start of Covid (currently have 24k miles on it now and the lease is for 36months/12K.)

Since the car market is crazy and GTIs are VERY hard to find, especially a Cornflower Blue Rabbit Edition (there’s only 3 for sale in the whole country on cars.com) I’m trying to trade it in towards a new 2022 SE-R Line Black Tiguan (I need the space).

I’m working with a dealer who is offering me a straight trade essentially for a 2022 Tiguan and allowing me to keep just about the same payments as my GTI (+$9/month)See the numbers below.

Let me know your thoughts here. I called Carmax/Carvana and they’re no longer allowed to buy VW leases so that limits me either working with a VW dealer or buying it myself (in which case I’d need to pay the sales tax on the buyout price). Any alternative ideas I might be missing?

GTI Trade-In Value: $24,500
(My Current Lease Buy Out Quote is $18,649)

Sale Price Tiguan: $34,938

Residual Value: $19,977 (56%)

MF: .00137

Dealer Fees: $394

Lease Acquisition fee and PA transfer tag fee are rolled into payment

Terms: 39 Month/12K miles per year

Total Monthly Payment(taxes included): $374

How much did they offer for it if they could buy it?

Through their online quote portal they offered $25,800 but figured it wasn’t worth sharing that with VW since it’s not an option for me.

It’s useful for baselining how much equity you actually have in the vehicle so you can judge the quality of the dealer trade offer. Basically tells you that there’s about $7k in equity being rolled in here, meaning your Tiguan deal is basically $550/mo. Seems quite high.

Let them buy your car and take the $6,000 equity and work a separate deal.

Otherwise you’re paying roughly $20,000 over 39 months for a $34k vehicle

If you’re in love with the Tiguan a better play may be to roll the equity into the Tiguan and purchase it. The buy vs lease monthly payment difference won’t be significant.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.