GroovyCar - auction your car to dealers

Has anyone tried GroovyCar? The site posts your car at no cost and dealers bid on it. As of now, it’s only available in the greater Philly area. I did an initial estimate and it was higher than the “normal 3” car buying companies, but didn’t move forward with posting for auction.

https://groovycar.com/

1 Like

Algorithm needs work lol

Lol dealers are waiting for you…

Close a few tabs.

3 Likes

I’m taking a page out of the ‘old people book’, I’m going to squeeze every bit of processing power out of my i7 8700k

LOL. Hey, my initial estimate for your car is $100k. Sign up now!

Anyway, this statement right here is false. I have never been offered nor heard of someone being offered 20% below auction value on a trade. It is typically a flat $500-$1500, depending on the popularity of the vehicle.

We analyzed about 40,000 wholesale transactions (dealer-to-dealer auto auction transactions) and a monetary increase of 20% (or $4,000) represented the difference between the trade-in values for those vehicles and the actual value achieved inside of an auto auction. This is how we arrived at our statement “GroovyCar helps you sell your vehicle for an average of 20% more than trade-in.That could mean four grand more in your pocket.”

I will go through the entire process within the next week and give a full review.

2 Likes

I put in the VIN for my ancient INFINITI convertible, and they (I can’t bring myself to type out their silly name) aren’t in my area.

I received an email shortly after, and it’s excerpted below.

As a frame of reference, Carmax offered me $10,500 about 60 days ago.

** Welcome to GroovyCar, the online, auction-style platform that makes selling your car for more money quick and easy.

We fast track car sales by helping you sell directly to local car dealers ready to bid on your vehicle. We’re not up and running in your location yet, but we’re on the move…and hopefully, we’ll be there soon.

While you’re waiting on us, we’ve got something special for you: your GroovyCar Quick Estimate. According to the information you shared, your GroovyCar Quick Estimate is $10400 , which is $1485 above market value.**

Just call them Gravy Car

UPDATE: I started the process yesterday, answering typical questions about the car and needed to take about 10 pics. The website could use a little work, I was trying to take pictures of the car directly into the listing using my phone and it wasn’t quite cooperating. It was much easier to take the pictures ahead of time and then upload. You set a reserve price as the minimum you will take. I set my reserve at their estimated price.

The auction starts the next business day and goes from 9:00 to 5:00. I received many bids, but none were more than my offers on carvana and vroom.

I think it’s a good concept and has the potential to compete with the other companies, but they’re new and probably need to expand a little more.

This was the final screenshot after the auction ended. I didn’t receive any notifications or any kind of email all day, but I read on the site you can list it again if you want which I probably won’t do.

Update 2 - received email asking if I would like to sell to the highest bidder. If not, have to relist tomorrow.

2 Likes

Update day 2: I ended up relisting today. Bids got all the way up to 17,900 which didn’t hit my reserve of 18,300 (obviously my reserve was on the high side but really wanted to see the potential). Highest bidder ended up calling me to see if we could make a deal, but I already ended up getting 18,500 at the dealer an hour prior (which was higher than carvana, vroom, algo, etc)

Overall good experience, give it a shot, nothing to lose. You may need to list for multiple days.

Tried but have to wait. Long Island, NY.

Yeah the website said they only open operate in the general Philly area at the moment. They must be very new. Neat concept.

I put in my GA zip code and it worked. They must be expanding…

I checked my car (30k from ALGO, 28k from Carvana, and 29k from Vroom) and I was not impressed with it. They estimated the value at 21k. I’m not sure how they got this or where they got this. Maybe worth checking out in the future but definitely a cool concept.

I’ve got an auction for my Dodge Challenger queued up, will probably start it Friday, based on the feedback in this thread, that the offers seem to be legit. They are predicting my car will sell for $40,300, in comparison Carvana is offering $32,000, Vroom is at $35,000 and Rodo is at $37,000.

3 Likes

Makes me sick thinking of what I sold my Charger Scat Pack for. This boon in used car pricing is insane. I think I sold it for $34k with 6,800 miles in March 2019. Interested to see what you end up getting. Good luck!

Some bidding activity in the final hour of the auction, final offer was $34K, well below the $40K forecast and towards the lower end of the offers I’ve collected from the usual suspects. Hard to recommend right now based on my results.

What is your current buyout?

Just in case anyone, like me, recalls this discussion and came here to get the name of the company again … they are apparently gone. Website is a 404 error. Oh well.

6 Likes