Good Deal? - 2019 BMW 440i Convertible

Hi, I’m in SoCal and have negotiated a 2019 BMW 440i convertible lease. I’d like to know whether this is a good deal for a 440i convertible and whether it’s a good deal in general since the % of MSRP over the lease term seems a bit high. Here are the terms:

Term: 36 Months
Miles: 10,000/Year
MSRP: $69,200
Monthly $800/month, including CA tax
Total Cost: $28,800 ($800x36)
All the drive off fees (registration, etc.) are included in the above numbers so for simplicity sake let’s assume $0 ‘upfront’.

This is roughly 41.6% of the MSRP of the vehicle ($28.8K/$69.2K), which seems high based on the 1% rule. I was able to lease a Mercedes CLA for my sister for 3 years for 35% of its MSRP a few months ago so scratching my head on this one since it’s so much higher as a % of MSRP. That said, I’ve called most the dealers in SoCal and most can’t come close to this number and two others have gotten pretty close. All the dealers have told me they would be losing money on this deal. Is this a good deal for a 440i? Seems like the residual must be very low or incentives are really weak at the moment (I’m getting the Loyalty Credit). Would the lease/residuals be better on the Mercedes convertibles in this same tier? C-Class / E-Class or maybe an M4? Thanks.

I think it’s horrendous,but you won’t get a good lease on a 440i regardless. If that’s what you want, just accept the lease will suck and sign.

If you want to “hack” a lease, start with the 430i or C300 convertibles.

2 Likes

I thought so! My instincts are telling me not to lease it - doesn’t seem worth it just for the extra horsepower! Why do you think the 430i and C300 would lease better? How much better should the 430i and C300 be? Also would the C43 AMG be as horrendous as the 440i? Thinking in convertible models. Also, still curious about other’s thoughts.

Smaller engine, lower/mid trims tend to have better discounts (there’s more in stock to move) and higher residuals so they’ll lease better. C43 lease will suck just as bad as a 440. If you want to “hack” a lease you need to get the entry level engines not the AMG/BMW M/Audi S

Got it. How about an MB E400? Entry level E-Class but with the stronger engine I’m looking for. Do you expect that to lease as well as the 430i/C300? Or at least similar to them? Looking to get something 35-37% MSRP for three years. Thanks.

430/440 19’s have the same exact programs(residual, MF, lease credit, lease loyalty credit), and in most cases you get a larger discount on 440i because more back end money. 440’s just have higher MSRP’s so leases are impacted strictly through that factor.

If are searching for 1%, working on a new BMW is going to be difficult/impossible in most cases. Best deal is going to be a 430i coupe or GC loaner under 5,000 miles.

Any thoughts on this guys? Thanks! Repasting below:

"How do you expect an MB E400 entry level E-Class to lease? As well as the 430i/C300? Or at least similar to them? Looking to get something 35-37% MSRP for three years. Thanks.

Nice post man

I ended up getting a 2019 440i convertible at $68.8K MSRP for $5,000 down and $629/month including tax and all other fees. Total cost (excluding disposition fee) is ~$27,015. I think that’s as good of a deal as anyone can get on a new 2019 440i convertible. Let me know if any of you hackrs disagree. Curious what you think.

Seems high, and you shouldn’t have put $5k down. But considering it’s a pretty uncommon BMW, and not a loaner, I wouldn’t call it a bad deal

Yeah I definitely recognize it’s at ~39% of MSRP for 3 years, above the 36% hackr benchmark and I was able to get a MB CLA 250 last April for my sister at 35% MSRP but curious if this is a decent deal for a 440i convertible specifically. I literally called every BMW in a 60 mile radius of Los Angeles and negotiated for a couple days throwing other dealer’s offers at them and this is the best i could get.

Also, why is everyone against putting $5K upfront? The car has GAP insurance that covers my upfront payment as far as I know. BMW charges a 4% APR which is kind of high in my opinion. Curious abut your thoughts. Thanks all.