GM is cutting off access to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for its future EVs

Seems like a bad decision and not well thought out. Is every major auto manufacturer gonna attempt similar in the future? People like a common platform, and auto manufacturers need to become more financially efficient, this decision seems to fly in the face of that thinking.

More so, is GM is keeping CarPlay and Android Auto for gas / diesel vehicles? So they need to continue developing both interfaces, where is the sense in all this?

This will provide more opportunity for the after-market to build devices / interfaces to allow CarPlay and AA to be used in these new GM EV’s.

1 Like

“And GM’s gas-powered vehicles will continue to allow CarPlay and Android Auto use.”

1 Like

That does seem dumb - I’m in the market for a new car and as silly as is sounds something with wireless CarPlay is one of my main reasons and wants for it.

3 Likes

Who do they think they are, Tesla?

9 Likes

Or Rivian or Lucid or Fisker.

At least the Tesla will be ready to go in 30 minutes or less. The other day at the EA I spotted a Bolt EUV that took 105 minutes (based on the screen) to charge from 11-96% (I had left before it finished)

1 Like

Damn, I didn’t know Carplay put that much extra drain on the battery during charging

5 Likes

Lucid just added CarPlay in an update.

Bolts are still limited to 50kW max, they are a plague on every DCFC.

2 Likes

Lyriq runs on Google so I’m OK with this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does this apply to 2024?

But Cusinato cautioned that current GM vehicles with Google built-in, including the GMC Hummer EV, Cadillac Lyriq

2 Likes

It honestly wouldn’t be an issue if Android automotive wasn’t so buggy and this is an attempt by GM trying to force users to pay for a data plan. They’ll probably backtrack once there’s backlash.

2 Likes

Unclear.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/01/business/gm-apple-play-evs/index.html

“GM’s decision to stop offering those systems in future electric vehicles, starting with the 2024 Chevrolet Blazer, could help the automaker capture more data on how consumers drive and charge EVs.”

Lyriq not specifically mentioned:

" The GM-designed display and infotainment system will also be included in the 2024 Chevrolet Equinox EV, which goes on this spring starting at about $30,000, 2024 Cadillac Celestiq, which also goes on sale later this year starting at $300,000, and the 2025 GMC Sierra EV, Kummer said.

I am sure it’s going to be a real hit with actual human beings.

2 Likes

Seems like an April fools joke

2 Likes

lol WTF is GM thinking?

they must really hate them self

Apple CarPlay is a huge plus for me and will not take a rental that does not have it

1 Like

It’s pretty amazing some of the dumb *hit that gm does, it reminds me when the new 9-3 came out in 2003. The car had all the phone buttons but they weren’t enabled for the US market, they wanted you to sign up for OnStar and make calls that way, and use a separate phone number.

1 Like

what can you expect from government motor?

1 Like