GM Employee Pricing + GM Earnings Card questions

So I keep getting the “by law” or whatever, we can’t go below GM Employee Price line. Is this true? I’ve tried to tell them to skip the employee price and just give me a fair price, but they refuse to budge from this line.

Also, I have GM Earnings Card money. Can this be stacked onto the GM Employee discount? Or is it one or the other?

Currently the employee discount is only 6% roughly off MSRP, which doesn’t sound that great to me, but maybe it is? Is it really that difficult to negotiate 6% off MSRP as a regular joe? I would think in the detroit area, with all the dealerships here and everything else, it should be easy as lots of competition but maybe not?

1 Like

I remember something about Buypower earnings not being stackable with supplier/employee/college but I couldn’t find the source on that. There’s nothing stopping a dealer from going below supplier other than desire to do so at a given time. Michigan definitely has some strong discounts and competiton, so shop around and ask for multiple quotes. Focus on getting the selling price of the vehicle before any rebates and incentives. Don’t mention the Buypower earnings or the supplier/employee discounts until after you get that number. Are you looking for a particular vehicle? In general 10% off should be doable, possibly more on some vehicles.

Yes, I’m looking for a particular vehicle. If you can help me with some questions, I’d like to talk via pm? Please pm me. I am afraid if I describe too much, that the people I’m working with or trying to work with might come across this forum and put 2 and 2 together.

The rebate the dealership gets back on supplier pricing is not the full 6% in this case. It’s a lot smaller. Could be only 500. So if you negotiate 2000 off beforehand they in theory can up the discount to 2500. So if it ends up you cannot stack the two your buy power might be more beneficial depending on how much you have.

AFAIK it is true that they cannot go below employee pricing when using GMS. MI dealers either all tell the same lie risking sales to other dealers or it’s true - which leads me to believe that it’s true. BUT, they can throw in dealer cash applied as a down payment to effectively discount it even more. That’s the key.

If you’re looking for a Buick or GMC PM me.

Also SE MI dealers aren’t reading this forum and you’re not getting away with anything by trying to get discounts or stacking buypower card credits. Please share info publicly to help others.

1 Like

When I got my Volt I either stacked or effectively stacked the GM college discount (which is basically supplier) with Buypower earnings, despite supposedly not being able to do so. The sales manager insisted that he could do it, and if he couldn’t he’d make it work. I believe it ended up being an extra 500 in Flex Cash/Dividends thrown in to make up for it, but he kept his word. Finding a dealer with Flex Cash to throw around is important. It’s usually going to be a bigger dealer, and early in the month is bad because they will be stingy with it early, and in some instances they don’t even know how much they have to work with right at the beginning of the month. It’s all tied into previous months sales I believe, unless they switched that to quarterly like the sales reports. Waiting until the end of the month can be a bit risky since they might be tapped out, or they already hit their goals and aren’t looking to make any crazy deals. I’m not sure if that type of dealer cash can be carried over, or if it’s “use it or lose it”. If you are in Michigan though, @chrishs2000 is definitely the guy around here you want to take notes from.

I got below GMS and rebates on my ctsv.

1 Like

Right on the website:
*BuyPower Card, GM Card, and GM Flexible Earnings Card Earnings may not be used with fleet vehicle incentive programs or with some other offers and discounted sale programs, such as the GM Employee Discount Program, GM Company-Owned Vehicle Discount and GM Supplier Discount Program. Other exclusions may apply. GM Extended Family Card Earnings may not be used with fleet vehicle incentive programs or with some other offers and discounted sale programs. Other exclusions may apply. BuyPower Business Card Earnings may not be used on the purchase of certain vehicles, such as those sold or obtained at auction, or with some other offers and discounted sale programs. See your authorized GM Dealership for eligibility. Other exclusions may apply.

I tried to email you chris, but I have used up my alotment.

Those cards don’t work with GMS. However GM has a card for employees (and GM suppliers) and family called GM Extended family card that will stack. That card only gives a 1% cash rebate on your purchases though so it’s not that great.

https://www.buypowercard.com/efc/overview/?media=X5IM99AAM18110014098XXHHX&WT.mc_id=CRS_X_5IM_AA_0014098&external_id=CRS_X_5IM_AA_0014098&eVar25=VPP_FAM_FRST_BPC_PRMO_TILE_1118

Regarding getting prices better than GMS. I did that on my last GM employee eligible lease. Either they threw in mucho dealer cash and/or they skirted the rules.I didn’t ask too many questions about where the cash was coming from. That’s their problem.

My guess would be dealer cash. That’s how my Terrain deal went down.

Is it me or has GMS been getting crappier by the year?
They have some decent pre packaged deals if you want to avoid the hassle and dont care about throwing some cash down, but off MSRP I’ve seen better deals advertised than what GMs offers…

Sometime GMS is the way to go sometimes not. Many times a retail deal will beat the GMS price.

To be fair though, stack the retail rebates off the GMS price to compare to any non-GMS price.

And yes the GMS deals used to be much better.

1 Like